It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why do my Feeds keep coming back?

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Jan 14 '15, 5:24 p.m.
 I have a 4.0.5 Eclipse Client.

Under Feeds, I seem to have tons of Feeds... Build Events for My teams on <enter server here> and since I have 5 servers, I have 5 of them (1 for each server).  Then My Teams in <enter project here> and I have like 20 of those since I have lots of teams ...

I don't really want those feeds, so I delete them from the Navigation in Team Artifacts under Feeds. 

I restart and they are all back.
How can I really get rid of them??

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 14 '15, 5:28 p.m.
edited Jan 14 '15, 5:35 p.m.
they are rebuilt each time one of the connections to a server opens. this is the built in function, and is not configurable.

starting in 4.0.3 they should be started inactive, and using new support on the server can be made to throttle down their polling to prevent overloading the server. need 4.0.3 and above RTC client code and 4.0.3 or above server code to enable the delay capability.

this in the ccm admin, feed settings section

Susan Hanson selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Susan Hanson commented Jan 14 '15, 5:33 p.m.

So .... a follow-on ... so are you saying that for each of these, every time every person logs in to the server, these feeds run?  I just restarted and I have #s beside most of them, so I assume these are active.

Sometimes we see some performance issues, right about the time our US team starts coming into work ... could this literally be my 150 developers with eclipse clients all logging in and these feeds running??

sam detweiler commented Jan 14 '15, 5:39 p.m. | edited Jan 14 '15, 5:44 p.m.

yes, could be a problem. 

not only everytime they  logon, that just STARTS the polling, prior to 4.0.3 they polled ALL THE TIME the user was logged on, without the users knowledge.
clients older than 4.0.3 will start polling immediately after logon to the repo server

we had 3,000 users polling the system to death..
workitem changes were the biggest load.

you must explicitly enable the function on the server, default is off.
using the default settings, and all clients are enabled could reduce feed polling by around 75%. eventually they go to LONG random poll cycles.. and only wake up again on first logon and if u access a feed.
you can mark the feed  inactive on startup, but can't do this for all users and all feeds from a central admin.
I argued that the default behavior should be off. as very few users use the function

sam detweiler commented Jan 14 '15, 5:51 p.m.

if there is a lot of workitem and build activity overnight, then there are a lot more records to traverse in the feeds database and the data packets are a lot larger,

one should change the default feed event age purge limits in CCM/admin/advanced properties too..

workitem change events are held for 60 DAYS, builds for 48 hours
everything is 14 days.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.