It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

With regard to technote 1319600 "Automatically add users as subscribers when creating new work items"

Aaron Garcia (827) | asked Dec 16 '14, 10:51 a.m.
edited Dec 16 '14, 11:52 a.m.

How does one get this to work with specific work item types only. I want to be able to send a notification out to my System Administrators when I create a work item type called "Configuration Changes"

However, when I folow the instructions in technnote 1319600, (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21580771) the user list I created called "OctoSysAdmin" gets added to EVER work item type.

Additionally, when you modify the attribute Subscribed By it specifically states at the bottom "Modifying a built-in attribute will affect all Work Item types in thsi project area".

I want to know how to send notification to different groups for specific groups of people for one, or more specific Work Items only (NOT ALL WORK ITEM TYPES). How can this be done?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 16 '14, 11:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you provided a link to the tech note, readers could easily follow that to see what it says.

If it uses AttributeCustomization/JavaScript, then it will apply to all work items. If it is JavaScript, then you could determine the type and then decide.

Aaron Garcia commented Dec 16 '14, 11:54 a.m.

3 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 16 '14, 2:10 p.m.
edited Dec 16 '14, 2:11 p.m.
Clearly in step 8 of the doc, 'select the workitem type', the author doesn't understand the impact of changing the configuration of a builtin attribute.

Ralph, as far as I know, you cannot manipulate the subscriber list via Javascript in a default or calculated value script. altho the doc, https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization#ScriptBasedNotes,  says Default value, 'Script Based Default Any attribute type'

Comments
Aaron Garcia commented Dec 16 '14, 2:28 p.m.

Is there no way, without modifying my attributes to be able to configure a notification to a group for a specific Work Item?? Does this not seem like a common sense thing to have for a CM tool? There needs to be more separation between work items in RTC. <o:p> </o:p>

Not all Work items apply to ALL members of my Project.

I have used different CM tools that utilized Groups to be able to assign work to instead of individuals, and you could configure who received notifications for individual work items (i.e Hardware Change Requests, Software Change Requests, Defects). Additionally I could do notifications by State, so that a Software Lead could be notified when a CR was updated to a particular State. <o:p> </o:p>

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 16 '14, 2:46 p.m.
the builtin support doesn't provide an easy way to do this. been asked for since forever.

the builtin support re-uses many attributes, because they are the same functionality across all the workitems..  some use cases, like yours, present different requirements that the builtin support does not handle.

You also cannot send mail to members of a role (by listing the role name)
etc..

you CAN create a server side plugin extension that could do this for you.. create a field, add the role name to it, then the plugin uses the role name to find the users to send mail to on each later change.  Course this only works AFTER the workitem is created.. not BECAUSE it was created. To do that you would need some configuration external to a workitem to make this work.  .

workitem 177613 opened in sept 2011, documents some of the needs.  I have proposed in that workitem, creating an open source solution to this problem, as it appears IBM will no get to it.  It seems a shame to have everyone recreate the same function over and over again

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Dec 17 '14, 2:33 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Unfortunately Sam is right and JavaScript does not provide the capability to set the subscribers as far as I know.

The builtin customization support (providers and JavaScript) leaves a lot to be desired and I wish it was different. There are many requests in this area open.

So to be fully flexible today the best option is a work item save participant.

https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/a-create-approval-work-item-save-participant/ modified to work against the subscription API ( https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/subscribing-to-a-work-item-using-the-java-api/ ) instead of creating an approval would do the trick.

I wish it where easier.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.