It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why are comments made to an artifact, different from comments made to an open artifact in a module?

Joann Luu (10710) | asked Dec 05 '14, 5:50 p.m.

Why are comments made to an artifact, different from comments made to an open artifact in a module? This creates inconsistency. Was this part of the design or a bug?

Scenario: open an artifact and make comment to it. Set this artifact to be a part of a module. Add "comments" to the column dispay in a module view. The comments made at an individual artifact will not show up. This is annoying. There is no column display of comments in a list of artifacts. There is no efficient way to view all comments made to a list of artifacts.

When you have a module and make comments to the artifacts in the module view, they will show up in the "comments" module column display. When you open up the artifact, the comment will also show up as a comment to the artifact. Is it a bug that comments cannot be viewed in a module view if created in the artifact? If not then what was the logic behind the design?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Dec 05 '14, 6:17 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It makes sense to me that comments to a bound artifact in a module are kept separate from the base artifact.  What if you're commenting about the location of the artifact within the context of a module (ie - "Wouldn't it make more sense to move this down below section 3?")?  You don't want that showing up in the base artifact.  I think it would make more sense to put a comment field in the artifacts list rather than use the module comments field as a workaround.  I would suggest adding your comments to this enhancement:

Show Artifact Comments Indicator in a Separate Grid Column (Not Module) (79695)

Hope it helps,
Joann Luu selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Joann Luu commented Dec 05 '14, 6:47 p.m.

Thank you for the response and the enhancement reference. The enhancement is exactly what I would like to see. It makes sense to keep comments bound to a module separte from the base, but then there is no effecient way to view artifacts with comments in a grid view.

One other answer

permanent link
Jianoula Papadakis Kantos (16535) | answered Dec 06 '14, 1:48 a.m.
It is possible to see the comments you made to a base artifact (an artifact outside a module) when you include the artifact in the module.  Click on this icon within the module to toggle on/off the links, tags, and comments form the base artifact.
Hope this helps.
/Yianna

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.