It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Taskboard plans - help highlighting blocked tasks correctly

John Owen (462422) | asked Dec 02 '14, 8:30 a.m.
edited Dec 02 '14, 9:39 a.m.

In the taskboard editor of a plan view it's possible to colour an entry as follows:

type:task dependsOn:set

In this case the item will be set to the chosen colour (pink in the attached image) if the item is of type "task" and it has at least one dependency, i.e. there's at least one other work item which blocks it.

However, if the "blocking task" (highlighted yellow in the attached image) itself is resolved, I don't want the work item it blocks  to remain highlighted in pink because actually the "blocking task" is no longer blocking it.

How could this be coded in the taskboard editor?

The reason this is important is that if a task is blocked then developers won't want to work on it until the block is removed.  Currently it doesn't seem possible to differentiate the appearance of tasks on the taskboard based upon the status (resolved/ unresolved) of the task(s) which are blocking them.  Therefore the developers may not pick up the task to work on because they didn't realise it is no longer blocked.

Taskboard editor screenshot

One answer

permanent link
Thomas Kirstätter (181619) | answered Feb 16 '15, 5:58 a.m.
Hi,
afaik the quick query syntax can only address attributes of the workitem itself but not ones of linked WI. thus such a logic may not be possible currently.  Of cause you could solve this by just removing the depends on link and replace it by a "related" link, but that is of cause a very intrusive solution.
(If done so, you could introduce a ruling that in any task that gets closed, all "blocks" links are  replaced by "related" links... )
Sorry I have no better idea...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.