It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to count the number of attributes in a WItype ?

long TRUONG (3654118146) | asked Nov 19 '14, 9:11 p.m.
 Is there an easy way to count the number of attributes, better yet of custom attributes, in a WItype ?

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, manually, if we had followed advises to keep the number of custom attributes under 100 in a WItype. But we have 624 in one of the 7 similar WItypes. 

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 19 '14, 9:46 p.m.

We'll you could write a little utility to count them.  

long TRUONG commented Nov 19 '14, 10:41 p.m.

Thx Sam 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Nov 19 '14, 10:25 p.m.
The easiest way I can think of is to count the attribute entries in the process configuration source. RTC Eclipse client may not have this feature, but any advanced text editors, such as Notepad++, have the feature to count the occurrence of patterns. Custom attributes look like this in the source.
<customAttributes category="com.ibm.team.workitem.workItemType" >
  <customAttribute id="Browser" name="Browser" type="enumerationList$browser" />
</customAttributes >
Search "</customAttributes >" should give you the exact number.
long TRUONG selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
long TRUONG commented Nov 19 '14, 11:01 p.m.
Thx Don, 

My comment is too long: will use the answer for it.

long TRUONG commented Nov 19 '14, 11:08 p.m. | edited Nov 20 '14, 12:08 a.m.

Thx Don,

For the quick and right answer. Didn't get the full understanding of what to look for before pulling the notepad++ (what could we hve done before there is notepad++) search literally for a copy of your string "</customattributes>" but here are the details for slow poke like me:

• The search gave me:
 new  4 (44 hits)
Line 391:      </customAttributes>
Line 419:      </customAttributes>
Line 1045:      </customAttributes>
Line 1051:      </customAttributes>
Line 1080:      </customAttributes>
  • Clicking on one of the line will lead me to the ID of the WItype right on the next line: in my case clicking on 419 gave me line 420 <customAttributes category="com.ibm.team.workitem.bugType">, the WItype I had manually counted the # of custom attributes
  • There are 626 lines between 419 and 1045, the latter of which is the line of the next found string.
  • Hence besides line 420 there are 625 lines of "<customAttribute id" which are the number of custom attributes in that bug WItype. I had counted only 624 ... (Not going to loose my sleep over that missing one ... nor will I recount to match)
  • All that can be verified by searching for "<customAttribute id" then verify that the search returned all the 625 consecutive lines from 421 to 1044 inclusively.
  • ... Ah! I did count right, 624 lines from 421 to 1044, was just making a mental mistake and included 1045 in the group.

Not sure what was that noise after my first edit. It may return after I save this one

sam detweiler commented Nov 19 '14, 11:37 p.m.

Don, that is amazing!!.. never had an editor that would return counts.. nice

Donald Nong commented Nov 20 '14, 12:15 a.m.

Long,
I converted your "answer" to a comment, which it should be. And by some magic, the format became correct and I could read your comment properly.
Yes you are right, "<customAttribute id" gives you the right number, and "</customAttributes>" does not. I overlooked the "s" in the "customAttributes", which means that there can be multiple entries within this entity, and I made the wrong choice.

long TRUONG commented Nov 20 '14, 3:52 p.m.

Nothing a night rest won't help discover if you sleep on it: Have not realized before that you can choose to search by regExp on notepad++

use search string "</customattributes>|<customAttributes category=" and voila, neatly arranged without having to manipulate in .xls or sort:
  new  1 (88 hits)
Line 420:    <customAttributes category="com.ibm.team.workitem.bugType">
Line 1045:    </customAttributes>
hence for WItype bug there are (1045-420+1)-2 (for lines 420 and 1045)= 624

long TRUONG commented Dec 03 '14, 1:27 p.m.

Out of neceessity, some regExp did not work as thought, found the simplest search strings:

"</customAttributes" for WItypes & their count of custom attributes
"</customAttributes*" for WItypes & their custom attributes

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.