It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

First build questions -- Working with "tools"

Mahari Hill (4861169230) | asked Nov 16 '14, 8:49 p.m.
CLM 4.0.5

All, if I have 5 pieces of the build, and 3 of them are tools/pieces that are rarely built, should I create separate streams/components for these and only add them to the main stream when going to QA? Or should I configure a workspace and use the "Components to exclude" checkbox

Any thoughts?

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 16 '14, 10:04 p.m. | edited Nov 16 '14, 10:10 p.m.

There is the source view and the build result view. Which are you talking about? 

When you take a baseline or snapshot it's on the entire stream. 
If you are combining parts to make a final distribution, I generally prefer to build just what changed and reuse the parts that didn't
Each tool generally ends up with their own stream, unless you maintain and deliver them together, then each tool is a component in that separate stream.

We use nexus as our binary repository of parts, and assemble the final from there.

Mahari Hill commented Nov 17 '14, 9:49 a.m.

Hello Sam,

That is sort of what I was asking, devs are working on the main 2 sections and the other 3 are rarely changed, They currently do a complete delete and rebuild everything. I was looking to maybe break this up.

One answer

permanent link
Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | answered Nov 18 '14, 10:25 a.m.
It's not clear from your question if all 5 pieces are part of your "release" or not.

Each piece should definitely have it's own component. If certain pieces have their own release cycle, independent of the other pieces, then it makes sense for those pieces to have their own stream.

If there's nothing independently release-able, then my thoughts shift to how long does it take to build this stuff. You mentioned that 3 pieces don't change that often...do they take long to build? If not, then in my mind it's easier just to build them all the time rather than work out some complex scheme were you only try to build them some of the time.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 18 '14, 10:30 a.m.

overall I would agree, until I try to figure out troubles..

when u build it everytime, you can't tell if you dragged something new in
(slip streaming changes cause we build all the time) without traceability.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.