It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrade path for RRDI 2.0.x on Windows to Rational Insight 1.1.1.5 on Linux

Abish Mathew Zachariah (252511) | asked Nov 16 '14, 6:50 a.m.
edited Nov 16 '14, 6:53 a.m.

Hi All

I am in the process of  upgrading on of my clients RRDI 2.0.x to Rational Insight 1.1.1.5. Their current deployment is on Windows:

CLM 4.0.3 and WAS 7 on one server
DB2 9.7 (JTS,CCM, QM, DW and RICM) on one machine
RRDI 2.0.x on a dedicated server

Since they wanted to move this environment to Linux and also to upgrade to CLM 5.0.1 and insight 1.1.1.5, I have setup a staging environment on Linux with CLM 4.0.3, WAS 8.5.5, DB2 10.5 ( JTS, CCM, QM and DW) and its seems to be working fine with the their current data from the production. For DB2 I have exported and imported the dbs as there is no cross platform backup and restore. Now I am in the process of upgrading CLM 4.0.3 to CLM 5.0.1

My question is regarding Rational Insight 1.1.1.5.  They currently wanted to use Insight 1.1.1.5 on Linux. So what could be the best strategy to move their RRDI 2.0.x on Windows to Rational Insight 1.1.1.5 on Linux with their current data and reports?

Can I take the back of RRDI 2.0.1 form the Windows environment (using setup wizard) and then Install Insight 1.1.1.5 on the Linux machine and proceed with DW upgrade. Or do I have to install RRDI 2.0.x/RRDI 5.0 on Linux environment and then upgrade to Insight 1.1.1.5 on the Linux environment?  Any suggestions in this regards is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Abish M Zachariah

Accepted answer

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Nov 17 '14, 2:09 a.m.
Hello Abish,

in my opinion the cleanest way to achieve your goal is the following:

1) Export the whole content store on the old RRDI server.
The export and import procedure is described in this technote:

How to copy the entire Content Store to another Cognos server of the same version
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21340892

2) Perform a clean new Installation and setup of Insight 1.1.1.5 on the new machine (best if you use a new clean content store DB).

3) Import the export of the old RRDI content store on the Insight application.

4) Since you are also performing an upgrade you need to import the new data model and sample reports from CLM after you restore the old content store. The procedure is described in the following topic:

Automatically loading the CLM data models and application sample reports onto the report server
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.1/com.ibm.rational.rrdi.admin.doc/topics/t_import_data_model_package.html

5) At this point you will have an Insight system that will behave in the same way of the old RRDI. To fully leverage the Insight specific capabilities you will have to complete the integration tasks:

Integrating Rational Insight with an existing CLM
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSRL5J_1.1.1/com.ibm.rational.raer.integration.doc/topics/c_integrate_clm_insightwclm.html

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi
Abish Mathew Zachariah selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Francesco Chiossi commented Nov 17 '14, 2:13 a.m.

Note: you will also need a Windows machine where you'll install the Insight DevTools as this package is Windows only.

Abish Mathew Zachariah commented Nov 17 '14, 9:57 p.m.

Thanks Francesco...I am trying the steps you have suggested.

Best Regards
Abish M Zachariah

Abish Mathew Zachariah commented Nov 17 '14, 10:00 p.m.

Hi Francesco

I just wanted to update you that, I have already exported and imported the RICM database from the Windows db2 database to the proposed Linux db2 database. I used db2 move command to export and import the RICM data base as there is no cross platform back up and restore. In this case do we have to perform the export of the old content store form the old RRDI server? Let me know . Thanks
Best Regards
Abish M Zachariah

Abish Mathew Zachariah commented Nov 17 '14, 11:22 p.m.

Hi Francesco

I was not able to find the Cognos connection > Deployments. Hence I have taken a back up of existing RRDI on Windows using RRDI setup up wizard as mentioned in the below link:

https://jazz.net/help-dev/rational-insight/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrdi.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_postupgrade_backup.html

I think this should suffice. I also have the RICM bd2 db exported and imported into the Linux server which host the Insight DB.
Best Regards
Abish M Zachariah

Francesco Chiossi commented Nov 18 '14, 5:06 a.m.

Hello Abish,

this is how to export the full content store on Cognos 10.2.1 (that ships with Insight 1.1.1.5):

Creating a new export deployment specification

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_10.2.1/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.ug_cra.10.2.1.doc/t_asg_create_export_deployment_spec.html?lang=en

Note: on step 6 choose "Select the entire Content Store"

To restore it in the new environment:

Creating a new import deployment specification
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_10.2.1/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.ug_cra.10.2.1.doc/t_asg_create_import_deployment_spec.html%23asg_create_import_deployment_spec?lang=en

Copying the content store DB as you did, should work as well as the Cognos application will attempt to upgrade it on the first run.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Abish Mathew Zachariah commented Dec 08 '14, 3:53 a.m.

Hi Francesco

Here in my case, I have used the Content Store DB (RICM) of RRDI 2.0.3 for Insight 1.1.1.5. I have done a fresh installation of Insight 1.1.1.5 on the Linux Server and configured it to use the content store DB of RRDI 2.0.3. It worked fine.

Best Regards
Abish M Zachariah

Francesco Chiossi commented Dec 08 '14, 4:03 a.m.

Thanks a lot for sharing your results, Abish!

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.