It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to display a work item attribute value as a live URL

Steve Francisco (26139) | asked May 14 '09, 2:58 p.m.
I have a String attribute where the work item creator will be placing a URL to some referenced web page. I'd like to have it display on the work item page as a link that people can click on to follow. Otherwise they'll have to tediously select, copy, then paste into a browser. Is that possible? Ideally I was hoping to see a "url" type for the editor presentation but perhaps there is some way?

5 answers

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 15 '09, 4:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
You could try to use an attribute of type Small HTML and the according presentation. Similar to what is available in the description field, URIs will be detected and clickable.
Another approach would be to use 'Related Artifacts' references (e.g. in Quick Information or on the Links tab), where you can enter a URI and a comment (description) for each link.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Kieron Brear (1461169) | answered May 15 '09, 7:44 a.m.
Hi,

This is a really useful tip. Is it possible to put other URIs in there other than http? For example, I'd like to link to documents in a Notes database, using the Notes URI, such Notes://D06DBL45/xxxxxx. Is this possible? Is there anywhere to define the application that is launched resolve URIs?

Thanks,
Kieron

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 15 '09, 8:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Kieron
Links in the form of abc://cde are detected, this includes notes links. If there is no special hyperlink handler in jazz (e.g. for a link pointing to a work item), the link is passed to the operating system to launch. This works fine in most cases.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Comments
SEC Servizi commented Oct 03 '12, 3:34 a.m. | edited Oct 03 '12, 3:52 a.m.

Thanks a bunch, Marcel.

We add links to a network shared dir simply usingĀ file://server/shared_dir. Links in the form \server\shared_dir are not detected by RTC.

permanent link
Kieron Brear (1461169) | answered May 16 '09, 3:12 p.m.
Marcel,

I'm using 1.0.1 and had run into the need to use 'notes' in the link, rather than 'Notes', which is fixed in 2.0. I found that out from here: https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3270.

Thanks,
Kieron

permanent link
Tim Feeney (30745745) | answered Apr 21 '10, 7:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
You could try to use an attribute of type Small HTML and the according presentation. Similar to what is available in the description field, URIs will be detected and clickable.
Another approach would be to use 'Related Artifacts' references (e.g. in Quick Information or on the Links tab), where you can enter a URI and a comment (description) for each link.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

This seems to be what I want as well. I have a attribute/presentation of type Small HTML, however, the generated URL that is posted to the attribute is not displayed as a live hyperlink. I thought to try the Related Artifacts tip but I am not sure of the mechanics of doing so. I searched around for instructions and could not find any. Any guidance is appreciated.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.