It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Promotion use outside of Enterprise Extensions

Michael Taylor (8865764) | asked Oct 02 '14, 9:56 a.m.
edited Oct 15 '14, 3:57 p.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)

We believe that the RTC work item promotion features may help us manage our workflow process and control movement of source code from lower (Development) streams to upper (QA and Production) streams.

1) Are the RTC promotion features only intended to be used with for IBM i and z/OS systems?

2) Can these features be used along with standard RTC SCM and CLI functions?

3) Are RTC work item promotion features enabled with the standard RTC install or do we have to perform a special install or special license activation if we want to use RTC work item promotion features with standard RTC SCM and without using for mainframe, IBM i, or z/OS systems? 

Keep in mind that we are not trying to promote binaries we are only trying to control the promotion of source code from one level to another.  We currently cannot see the item to create a promotion definition in our RTC install.

Comments
Michael Taylor commented Oct 02 '14, 11:11 a.m. | edited Oct 02 '14, 11:26 a.m.

Ralph Schoon, could you please post your answer again?  I can't see it in this item for some reason.  I received the email that you posted an answer.

Thanks for cleaning up the duplicate question issue.  There was a web browser or some kind of network error while I was trying to post the question.

Michael Taylor commented Oct 02 '14, 12:29 p.m.

Could someone please help me get this message to Ralph?

The answer he posted at 11:11 AM was lost somehow.

Thank you.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 06 '14, 2:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I can't remember what I would have answered here. I think  I have no real experience with the promotion feature and can't really answer.

One answer

permanent link
Justin Spadea (661) | answered Nov 12 '14, 2:37 p.m.
 Hi Michael,

1. Currently promotion is specific to z/OS and IBM i. If you try to create a promotion definition you will be required to choose one of these two platforms. Since you only want to use promotion for source code then it would be possible to create either z/OS or IBM i build definitions so that you can create a corresponding promotion definition, and then simply never use those build definitions. You would then want to only use the "Promote Work Items" feature which has a "source-only" option. The component promotion feature at this time does not have a source-only option.

2. I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Do you have an example scenario? If you just mean can other people deliver directly to the target stream in between promotions then the answer is yes.

3. In order to use promotion you will need an Enterprise Extensions license, otherwise as you've observed it will not be visible in the UI at all.

I remember seeing an enhancement to support promotion to work outside of Enterprise Extensions, however it is not currently in plan and I do not know if you would still need an enterprise license if it were to be implemented (that would need to be determined when it gets added to a release).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.