It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test Case point weight distribution in RQM issue

cagriffiths (8124) | asked Sep 17 '14, 6:02 p.m.
Currently our project is using RQM 4.0.3

When executing scripts the points are given to the incorrect status.
If user execute script and pass all but one step and fails the last step then TCER point is given to passed point when it should be given to the failed point. Is there to update the project to make sure that one fail will give the TCER point to fail points?

One answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Sep 18 '14, 11:59 p.m.
I tested with 4.0.3 and v4.0.6 and did not see problem for points distribution.
For example, if I have a test case with weight 100 points. There is a test script with 4 steps in it and added to the test case. Then I run the testcase, set the first 3 steps as passed and failed in last step. If I go to the TCER's weight distribution page, I see Pass has got 75 points while Fail got 25 points, this is what it should be. Please clarify on what you mean TCER point is given to passed point: where do you see this distribution? Is there anyone who may manually change the points distribution(all go to pass) in your case?

Comments
cagriffiths commented Sep 19 '14, 1:26 p.m.

We changed the points to weigh only 1 point instead of 100. We want to have it so if there is one Fail or any other status besides pass for a step then all points will go to that status. 

Don Yang commented Sep 21 '14, 7:57 p.m. | edited Sep 21 '14, 7:59 p.m.

I think in your case most likely the automatic weight distribution will set point 1 to Passed instead of Failed because the weight of Passed has more than 50%(in my scenario it is 75% for example) and will be round up to 1 and Failed(25% for example or even lower in your case if you have more steps) will get 0 point because of round off. Automatic mechanism can have limitation in this kind of scenario. While your argument that if the actual result is failed, 100% of weight points should go to failed is reasonable for some users but some others may prefer the existing mechanism(if they use points 100 or 200 or even more points to show this test case's weight in the whole test plan for example). The tool allows the user to set the weight distribution manually independent of actual result which should meet your needs. You can simply go to Weight distribution page and set the 1 point to failed or any points to failed or passed if you have more weight points.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.