It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How are work items of different types mapped in an import mapping file?

John Hetrick (261012) | asked Sep 02 '14, 9:04 a.m.
 I am using RTC v4.0.4.

I am trying to copy a set of work items from one project area to another project area.  The two project areas are based on similar but different process templates (both custom).  There are several work item types that are different but similar.  I have concluded that the only way to copy the work items is to use a csv export/import with a mapping file.  If I understand what I have read this should allow me to map the source work item types to the target work item types.  I found using the labels did not work so I started trying to use the IDs of the work items.  Here is the xml from my mapping file:

<attribute sourceId="Type" targetId="Type"> <value sourceId="com.ibm.team.apt.workItemType.story"  

<value sourceId="customer_meeting" targetId="com.jxh.team.workitem.workItemType.meeting" accurate="false"/> 

</attribute>

I have read the infocenter and the following article: TN0007: Guide for Importing Jazz Work Items from Bugzilla and Other Systems

This article also indicates "If a value mapping for state, resolution, priority or severity is marked as accurate="false" the source value will be appended in a comment of the work item when importing a bug with that value."  I can not get this to work either, but it would help in manually fixing any mapping issues after the import.

Thanks

John Hetrick

Comments
Donald Nong commented Sep 03 '14, 2:27 a.m.

You did not describe how it "did not work", so it is hard to imagine what went wrong. Also your post seems messed up with all those tags and there is no way to spot any potential issues in your mapping files. But if you have difficulties with the mapping file, I will suggest you start with the ones RTC provides - during the import there is a dialog where you specify the "Custom Data Mapping" information, you can click the links "Save Default As" and "Compute From Data" and get two mapping files. The former is based on the target and the latter the source.

One answer

permanent link
John Hetrick (261012) | answered Sep 03 '14, 8:13 a.m.
Donald,
Thanks for the reply.

Instead of using the specified target work item, RTC simply uses the "Defect" work item from the target project area.  Here is a clean copy of the xml (sorry cut/paste from my notes in WORD).

<attribute sourceId="Type" targetId="Type"> <value sourceId="com.ibm.team.apt.workItemType.story"  

<value sourceId="customer_meeting" targetId="com.jxh.team.workitem.workItemType.meeting" accurate="false"/> 

</attribute>

I moved from labels to IDs because labels were not working and the reading I had done lead me to believe that was a better choice for fields that may be ambiguous.  I have experience working in the process xml of a project area and are confident that the specified IDs are correct. I did create a mapping file from the source and from the target to ensure I had the right values for creating the mapping file I need.

I can paste any additional information from the mapping file, or either the source, or target project area xml if that would help.
If it is not possible to be specific about my specific situation, does work item mapping actually work?  Is there any additional guidance on how to do this besides that which I have already read?

Thanks
John Hetrick

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.