It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to LOCK a Baseline in RTC components

Sreedhara thirthahalli (591415) | asked Aug 26 '14, 8:10 a.m.
edited Oct 10 '17, 11:40 a.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

Hi

How do we Lock a Baseline in RTC components? using GUI (eclips client) plz let me know the steps.

and How to check using eclipse client whether the Locking is done or not?

Comments
Jeff Care commented Aug 26 '14, 9:01 a.m. | edited Oct 10 '17, 11:36 a.m.

Can you explain what you mean by "locking"? Baselines are immutable.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Winston Enos (33116) | answered Aug 27 '14, 10:32 a.m.
Sreedhara thirthahalli,

As Jeff Care already said, baselines are inherently locked because they are immutable. You cannot change the changesets they catalog, you cannot change their baseline ID (integer), and you cannot delete them from a component.

The only piece that is not locked by default are the baseline names, and those can be changed in the out-of-the-box templates. You can restrict that in the Project's Team Configuration Permissions ->

David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sreedhara thirthahalli commented Aug 27 '14, 11:39 p.m.

See My question was in UCM clearcase we have an option called Locking the Baseline.

the same concept whether it is there or not in RTC?

Once it is Locked means no body can REBASE it also 
Note :- After rebasing only I am Locking it and taking the screen shot of that baseline and sending it for CAB meeting. their it will get approved after seeing my Locked screen shot.
customer is asking the same concept here too in RTC?

If the Locking facility is not there as you mentioned you can restrict it could you please explain me detailed about that.
Client intention is once the baseline is created no one should touch and modify it that will be the final one.

Winston Enos commented Aug 28 '14, 12:50 a.m. | edited Aug 28 '14, 12:56 a.m.

Sreedhara thirthahalli,

RTC Baselines are -always- locked, you cannot modify or delete them once they are created, that is why we are saying they are immutable. Once a baseline is created, it is there permanently.

When a baseline is created for a component in RTC, it is assigned 4 pieces of data:
1. The baseline UUID (the unique identifier of the baseline.)
2. The baseline ID (human-readable unique integer of the baseline, like '48')
3. The baseline name (human-readable name of the baseline, like 'CORE.2_0')
4. The baseline description (human-readable description of the baseline, like "This baseline is for the CORE.2_0 release to customer X")

Once you create a baseline it is forever inserted into the component's baseline history. You cannot modify the changes it catalogs, you cannot delete it, the only thing you can modify for a baseline, out of the box, is the name and description, and as I posted above, even that can be locked down.

Winston Enos commented Aug 28 '14, 12:54 a.m. | edited Aug 28 '14, 12:56 a.m.

Sreedhara thirthahalli,

As I understand it, ClearCase UCM baselines can either be full or incremental baselines (or unlabeled technically.) In RTC all baselines are incremental baselines, they only catalog the new changesets since the last baseline.

In UCM you have a composite baseline which is a collection of these baselines across multiple components, in RTC a 'snapshot' is a collection of RTC baselines across multiple components.

When you perform a RTC build, typically as part of good CM practice you drop a RTC snapshot on the workspace that performed the build. This automatically creates, if needed, incremental locked baselines in each component that had new changes since the last baseline. None of these baselines can be deleted or modified, there is no additional locking needed, they already are locked.

If you need to rebuild, you delete the snapshot, rebuild, drop a new one, and thus it will re-create any new incremental baselines.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 28 '14, 1:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In ClearCase, whether or not a baseline is locked has no effect on the "rebase" operation (the rebase operation is affected by a lock on the stream being rebased).   The only significant operation that is affected by a lock on a ClearCase baseline is that you cannot promote a baseline if it is locked.   But just like RTC baselines, the configuration selected by ClearCase baselines cannot be changed after the baseline is created.   I'm not sure what your scenario of taking a screen shot of a locked baseline is designed to achieve.   A locked ClearCase baseline can be unlocked, so I do not see what relevance the fact that a baseline was locked at one time could have for a CAB board.

Now if you are asking whether it is possible to say in RTC "this baseline cannot be delivered to any streams", no, that is not something you can say.   What you can do is say "only people with the following roles are allowed to deliver changes to this particular stream".

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.