It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does a TCER/TSER only incorporate the Test Environment into the name and not the Iteration and/or Test Plan?

Michael Haun (4921924) | asked Aug 17 '14, 11:37 p.m.
I'm using RQM 4.0.4 and wondering why a TCER/TSER only takes into account the Test Environment when creating the TCER/TSER name.  One example of why I bring this up is we have a Test Plan for our acceptance testing and we plan to run the same TSER over a period of several iterations/flights.  When an iteration/flight ends I add the new iteration/flight to the Test Schedule.  Screenshot:

This makes it hard to distinguish the TSERs as they have the same name.  If I go to schedule this suite in the scheduler all I can go off of is the ID, which slows me down having to compare 6 digit numbers:

There is no option to have a column display for iteration.  Is there a way to have the TCER/TSER also include the iteration?  If not, this seems like an area RQM can improve upon.

Comments
Michael Haun commented Aug 18 '14, 9:34 a.m.

bump bump bump

Accepted answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Aug 18 '14, 11:50 p.m.
Hi, Machael

I tested with v5.0 and I do see the option to add iteration to TCER/TSER's name to make it unique when creating TCER from testcase section or TSER from test suite section in a test plan.
I am not sure if v4.0.4 has this option or not, I do remember that I saw it somewhere in v4.0.x but not sure it is after v4.0.4 or not, you may want to have a check if the option is there when creating a new TCER/TSER.

Michael Haun selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Haun commented Aug 19 '14, 9:10 a.m.

Thanks I see it now for both TCERs and TSERs.  I'm relieved RQM can do this.  ;-)

One other answer

permanent link
Taly Hotimsky (2714557) | answered Aug 19 '14, 7:58 a.m.
 The option that Don mentioned is available on 4.0.6, not sure about 4.0.4
But I think the better question is "why can't we define the TCERs/TSERs naming standard as a project property, choosing which elements should be a part of it?". You'd want your TCERs/TSERs to be consistently named (based on Test Plan types, or on Iterations in same cases).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.