It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Configuring Rational License Key Server for Insight 1.1.1.3

June Boston (1943038) | asked Aug 14 '14, 11:12 a.m.
edited Aug 21 '14, 3:12 p.m. by Stephanie Taylor (24115)
 Hello,

We cannot get Insight 1.1.1.3 and Rational License Key Server 8.1.3 to communicate.  Insight was installed before the license server to run on a trial licence for a bit.  Now RLKS has been installed on the same machine, the server is up and running, and the license is properly available (and has had the opt configuration file created with the name of our authorized user).  How do we actually point Insight to RLKS now?  Installation Manager's license management doesn't help, nor does RLK Administrator.

There are resources for Insight 1.0.0 that say an environment variable is used to specify the license server, like so:
LM_LICENSE_FILE=port@server

We have done this and restarted the machine, but to no avail.  We cannot access Insight right now as the trial has expired.

How do you connect Insight 1.1.1.3 and RLKS?

2 answers

permanent link
Jackie Albert (1.6k14947) | answered Aug 14 '14, 3:36 p.m.

Hi June,

One place to check might be in the WebSphere profile for your Insight application.  I've found that the LM_LICENSE_FILE variable can often be stored there.

• In WAS, navigate to Servers -> WebSphere Application Servers -> (your Insight system).
  • From that page, choose Java and Process Management -> Process Definition
  • Under Additional Properties on the right side, choose 'Environment Entries'
  • There, I have an environment value listed for LM_LICENSE_FILE

Hopefully this helps - I notice on one of my Insight systems this environment value exists, and on the other it doesn't so I'm not sure if this is consistently created in WAS.

Comments
June Boston commented Aug 14 '14, 4:32 p.m.

I checked and that variable didn't exist.  I created it and rebooted but to no avail. :(

Thank you for that info though, it might be useful in the future!  Maybe a Rational Developer could shed some light on this situation for both of us.

Francesco Chiossi commented Aug 15 '14, 5:31 a.m. | edited Aug 15 '14, 5:35 a.m.

LM_LICENSE_FILE is only used if you install on Linux.
On Windows it's recommended to use LKAD (that will set the necessary windows registry keys).
The option to rerun the configure license step in the setup application works on both.

See
Rational Insight licenses (Learn more about manually configuring the report server)
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rentrpt/v1r1m1/topic/com.ibm.rational.raer.install.doc/topics/c_lic_ovr.html

permanent link
June Boston (1943038) | answered Aug 14 '14, 7:22 p.m.
A quick PMR informed me that you need to start up the Insight/RRDI Jazz Setup Wizard and run through the configuration of Insight again.  It's quite trivial to do from the menu screen there.

Thank you Jackie, and IBM Support.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.