It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to handle streams not needed any more

JianYuan Zhao (812) | asked Aug 08 '14, 1:25 a.m.
We have some streams that not needed any more, I'd like to delete them since I think they are very confusing. Any suggestion for this? Should we delete these streams directly or any other way, archive or something else?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Winston Enos (33116) | answered Aug 08 '14, 9:34 a.m.
Streams are very lightweight, feel free to delete them, you may want to create a snapshot to backup the baseline configurations before you do so, in case you need to recover the stream at the same configuration.

Another option, however, is to re-scope the stream to a "dead" or archived RTC project. This works well when you work in industries that have some data retention policies, or when deleting a stream is just in bad form for CM people.

Open the stream and change the "Owned by"/Visibility to an dead/archived project for offloading your unused project data, this way you still have the stream's metadata in RTC (that stream's events will still show up in the Team Dashboard history) but it won't add noise to your active streams that your project cares about.

A similar workflow is done for unneeded components, since RTC does not have a way to delete unused components. Offload them to a dead project as well.
JianYuan Zhao selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 08 '14, 9:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Great suggestion Winston!

JianYuan Zhao commented Aug 10 '14, 9:53 p.m.

Thaks Winston.Now I've anoter option:)

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 08 '14, 2:28 a.m.
You can delete them. If you want to be able to recreate them easily later, create a snapshot while deleting them.

deleting a stream does not delete any SCM content. The stream only holds the configuration information needed to access the data.

Comments
JianYuan Zhao commented Aug 08 '14, 3:01 a.m. | edited Aug 08 '14, 3:07 a.m.

Thanks Ralph for the prompt answer. As you indicated, I created a snapshot against the stream and try to delete it, there is a pop-up to ask me to associate the snapshot with another stream. What's this about? If associated the snapshot with another stream, whether this will impact the stream associated with?

JianYuan Zhao commented Aug 08 '14, 3:07 a.m.

Thanks Ralph for the prompt answer. As you indicated, I created a snapshot against the stream and try to delete it, there is a pop-up to ask me to associate the snapshot with another stream. What's this about? If associated the snapshot with another stream, whether this will impact the stream associated with?

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 08 '14, 3:23 a.m.

The snapshot needs to be kept somewhere. It can have an owner - which is basically another repository workspace or stream. I would suggest to have a stream (can be without components) to store these snapshots, if you want to keep them around.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.