It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can a single build definition be used in 2 different jenkins joba?

Rainy John (381226) | asked Aug 06 '14, 4:37 a.m.
edited Aug 06 '14, 4:53 a.m. by Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103)
Can a single build definition be used in 2 different jenkins jobs? What are the implications?

One answer

permanent link
Winston Enos (33116) | answered Aug 07 '14, 2:48 p.m.
Rainy,

From Jenkins I believe you can assign the same build definition to any number of jobs.

The obvious implication is that the build definition has most of the configuration (what workspace, components, load rules, etc...) so you won't be able to tailor a per-job configuration (or maybe that is your intent here.)

The other implication is that when you double-click the Build Definition to show the history, you'll get a scattered mix of various builds from differently-named Jenkins jobs and your build trend won't make much sense (you could have had 8 'green' successful builds from one job, 1 'red' failed job from another.)

I'm not sure if the build definition will allow multiple subscribed jobs or if it may queue against Jenkins, I haven't tested locally.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.