It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Mirroring RTC "Components" across Projects

Stephen Litzkow (111) | asked Jul 29 '14, 11:18 a.m.
Basically, we have a flat file off error codes and their definitions.  All versions of our application, and all supported platforms of our application, use one and the same file.
The file only ever grows with new error codes.  And maybe a spell check fix, etc.

We would like to be able to add/update this file in one Project.  And then all the other projects that point to this component would automatically see it in Pending Changes, and be able to Accept those changes.

We're working around it now by remembering to do a pull.  That is, to get this to kinda work, all we've been able to do thus far is right click the component in Pending Changes.  Then select:
    Compare With....
        Another Repository Workspace or Stream...
            Then in the dialog, highlight the Project where we previously did a new Deliver.

This makes the Change Explorer tab/window open and we see the new Change Set that was Delivered.
And we can Accept it and the two are then synchronized.
However, we have to go to every version the application that uses this component, and repeat.
And everyone has to remember to regularly do this.

So the question is, does RTC have any solution do accomplish what we're trying to do?
Or are we just going about this in all the wrong way?

Thanks

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jul 29 '14, 11:40 a.m. | edited Jul 29 '14, 11:51 a.m.

when do you need to 'use' this file? during development, or build?

if Build, create a stream to hold this component with the one file.
on the build system workspace add this stream as a flow target, and the build will auto combine all the flow target sources into one build.  no thinking..
see https://jazz.net/library/article/40

if u need it during development (like access to java classes cause compile failures) then its more difficult. but you could have multiple flow targets in your user workspaces too, and toggle over to it to check for updates..

One answer

permanent link
Stephen Litzkow (111) | answered Jul 30 '14, 2:24 p.m.
OK thanks Sam.
We need it during dev.  I believe I worded it wrong but, it sounds like our current solution is doing what your second suggestion indicates.  So I guess that will just have to be our solution for now.
I was hoping we could make it even more automated.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jul 30 '14, 2:56 p.m.

another way, same multi-stream approach, but load the dependent component & files into a known folder. maybe with a batch file using lscm accept... etc.

then use that location in the dev project as a dependency..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.