It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I determine files that are different between a sandbox and workspace?

mark byrd (14712330) | asked Jul 03 '14, 9:42 a.m.
edited Jul 13 '14, 8:11 a.m. by Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512)
I have one instance of RAD8 with the RTC4 plugin opened on sandbox-A. Sandbox-A is loaded from workspace-A, and workspace-A was loaded from stream-1. I make changes to several files in sandbox-A, and check in all changes to a change set in workspace-A.  

I have another instance of RAD8 with the RTC4 plugin opened on sandbox-B.  Sandbox-b is loaded from workspace-B, and workspace-B was also loaded from stream-1. I know I can drill down into sandbox-B, find the files I changed in sandbox-A, and compare each sandbox-B file to workspace-A.  That will give me a "merge" view with sandbox-B (editable) on left and workspace-A (read-only) on right, with copy change from right to left options. I can then pull desired changes from workspace-B to sandbox-A.  This requires that I know which files were changed in sandbox-A.  

Is there a way to compare an entire application, or folder, in sandbox-B to workspace-A, to get a list of files with differences?

I know this is available with CVS. I can compare an entire application, or folder, in a sandbox to the CVS Head, get a list of files with differences, and step thru the list to get the "merge" view for each file.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jul 03 '14, 9:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can compare your workspace-B to workspace-A. Select it in Pending Changes and invoke the action Compare With > Another Repository Workspace or Stream action.

Or, it sounds like you want to get changes from it so you might as well change the flow target of workspace-B to workspace-A. However, you cannot accept part of a change set but you will be able to create a patch from the change set and apply only the parts you need.
mark byrd selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
mark byrd commented Jul 03 '14, 10:36 a.m.

The workspace to workspace compare provides the differences but, as you noted, both sides are read-only so I cannot pull the changes.

I will have to read up on patches before I understand the other part of your answer. 

Thanks.

mark byrd commented Jul 03 '14, 11:15 a.m.

I read up on patches, experimented with them, and that approach does exactly what I want. Thank you very much.

One other answer

permanent link
Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512) | answered Jul 13 '14, 8:10 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Here is the documentation topic on comparing baselines: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/t_scm_eclipse_compare_bl.html.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.