It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to quickly add newly created work item types to other projects

Arnold Cruz (16414031) | asked Jun 25 '14, 11:28 a.m.
edited Jun 25 '14, 11:35 a.m.
 I have created a new work item type in our test project in RTC. We have many other dozen production projects that now need this newly create work item type. 

Is there a way to quickly export only the changes I made for this newly created work item and then import them quickly to the other projects?

thanks!

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 25 '14, 11:31 a.m. | edited Jun 25 '14, 11:32 a.m.

there is nothing built in.

only (but not perfect) approach is to export the workitem to CSV
then import to new systems.   there is no 'recent change' detection on export.

making sure to update the ID column to that on each system before the import.
but not all things are supported by export/import.

Arnold Cruz commented Jun 25 '14, 11:34 a.m.

Thanks Sam. Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to say I created a new work item type. And need this new work item type in the other projects.  Is there a way to do that quickly? Or do I have to do the same steps to create this new work item type to the other projects.

sam detweiler commented Jun 25 '14, 11:37 a.m.

no easy way.. this is why the process sharing function exists.. so that you can change one place and have all the children inherit.

to get to a smaller pile of work, I have used xmldiff to get the exact lines changed in the process config, and make a patch (for xmlpatch) or an easier paste block.

xmldiff/patch are freeware tools.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.