It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can we migrate snapshot from one repository to another (different servers)?

Paulo Tawada (812) | asked Jun 18 '14, 12:12 p.m.

Hi,

My customer is using RTC 4.0.2, he migrated the streams from one repository (UAT) to another (PROD), the repositories are on different servers. They changed the flow target/accept change/deliver the change to migrate the streams, but this did not carry over the snapshot they took before. They would like to copy the snapshots from UAT to PROD.

I informed him that when he deletes the stream, he would get a warning message that the stream contains snapshots and asked to select another stream to take ownership of them. He could then point to the location of the new streams. The prompt about moving the snapshots would move all of the snapshots that the deleting stream owns. I'm not sure if he could point to a stream in another repository and different server, but anyway customer does not want to delete them.

Question:

Will the scm snapshot promote command address this issue (the repositories are on different servers)?

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/143464/how-can-i-move-a-snapshot-without-deleting-the-stream

If not, please let me know if you have any suggestions to address this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 18 '14, 12:16 p.m.

how did he migrate the stream? If he used the Eclipse Duplicate function, the snapshots should have replicated too (I think)..  least my stream copy code depends on it happening.. haven't heard any complaints of missing snapshots.

Paulo Tawada commented Jun 18 '14, 10:20 p.m.

Thanks Sam, I will need to check how they migrated their stream from one server to another.

Paulo Tawada commented Jun 27 '14, 6:28 p.m.

Thanks Sam for your assistance, my customer "enabled distributed scm" and allowed "replicate change sets" before they start the migration, and they found that all baselines were migrated, but not the snapshots. According to Ralph, distributed SCM does not migrate snapshots, so they are going to recreate them.

sam detweiler commented Jun 27 '14, 7:57 p.m.

thanks for the feedback, disappointing news to hear overall.

so far the other customer hasn't yelled about this since February so I guess they didn't care, (or notice?!)..

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 18 '14, 1:01 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 18 '14, 1:01 p.m.
Distributed SCM does not migrate/bring over snapshots. Snapshots only live in one SCM server.

Distributed SCM also only brings over the latest baseline. You can however manually get/deliver the baselines. You can use the baselines to set up streams similar to the ones with the snapshot (and create a snapshot for them).
Paulo Tawada selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 18 '14, 2:08 p.m.

when u right click on a stream or workspace and say duplicate, what does it do?

I migrated some 400 of these between systems and had no complaints of missing data.

my code used:

deststream_or_workspace= destmgr.copyWorkspace(dest_project, srcstream_or_workspace,  name,description, logger);

Paulo Tawada commented Jun 19 '14, 12:17 a.m.

Thanks Ralph, I was thinking about suggesting to them to enable the Distributed SCM, but it seems like this is not going to allow them to move the snapshots.

Paulo Tawada commented Jun 27 '14, 6:25 p.m.

Thanks Ralph for your assistance.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.