It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Java API extending - IVersionableManager unable to fetchCompleteState

Peter Moraza (481924) | asked Jun 17 '14, 4:23 p.m.
Hi,
I want to download a file from a change set that is linked to a work item. I am using RTC 4.0.3. I find the work item by it's id and am able to populate an IChange List with the change set contents, but I am unable to call fetchCompleteState without an exception. ivhandle.hasFullState always returns false although it appears to have an itemId and stateId. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

IWorkItemClient workItemClient = (IWorkItemClient) repo.getClientLibrary(IWorkItemClient.class);
IWorkItem workItem = workItemClient.findWorkItemById(id, IWorkItem.FULL_PROFILE, monitor);
IWorkItemCommon common = (IWorkItemCommon) ((ITeamRepository) workItem.getOrigin()).getClientLibrary(IWorkItemCommon.class);
IWorkItemReferences references = common.resolveWorkItemReferences(workItem, monitor);
List<IEndPointDescriptor> types = references.getTypes();
IVersionableManager vmgr = (IVersionableManager) repo.getClientLibrary(IVersionableManager.class);
for (IEndPointDescriptor endpointDescriptor : types) {
List<IReference> refList = references.getReferences(endpointDescriptor);
for (IReference iref : refList) {
URI uri = iref.createURI();
Location location = Location.location(uri);
IAuditableClient auditableClient = (IAuditableClient) repo.getClientLibrary(IAuditableClient.class);
IChangeSet cs = (IChangeSet) auditableClient.resolveAuditableByLocation(location, ItemProfile.createFullProfile(location.getItemType()), monitor);
List<IChange> changes = cs.changes();

for (IChange change : changes) {
System.out.println("change tostring = " + change.toString());
IVersionableHandle ivhandle = change.afterState();

if (ivhandle.hasFullState() == true) {
IVersionable iv = vmgr.fetchCompleteState(ivhandle, monitor);
System.out.println("iv name = " + iv.getName());
}
else {
System.out.println("ivhandle does not have a full state");
}
}
}
}

TIA for any assistance anyone can provide.
Peter

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 17 '14, 4:39 p.m.

what is the reported exception ?

Peter Moraza commented Jun 17 '14, 4:46 p.m.

I get a java.lang.NullPointerException 

sam detweiler commented Jun 17 '14, 4:51 p.m.

here?

> if (ivhandle.hasFullState() == true) {

or which line of above

Peter Moraza commented Jun 17 '14, 4:52 p.m.

Forget to mention there is no additional detail at all in the exception to help in troubleshooting. I see that IChangeSet.changes should not return null, so am wondering if I'm somehow missing a prerequisite step before the call to changes().

Peter Moraza commented Jun 17 '14, 4:54 p.m.

The exception is thrown at the following line:

Peter Moraza commented Jun 17 '14, 4:56 p.m.

The exception is thrown at the following line:

That line was originally entered as follows, I had moved it within the "if" earlier to avoid the exception in debugging.

IVersionableHandle ivhandle = change.afterState();

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jun 17 '14, 4:58 p.m.
this means that A change record might not have an 'after' state.

afterState()
Returns the "after" state of the versionable item, or null if the change is the deletion of a versionable item from the configuration.

Comments
Peter Moraza commented Jun 17 '14, 5:54 p.m.

That is interesting. In my case the change is an addition of a new set of files to the repository. When I print change.toString() I see the following:

change tostring = com.ibm.team.scm.common.internal.impl.ChangeImpl@7ee87ee8 (internalId: [UUID _sN5jtOpzEeO_MsKtwSaYJA]) (kind: 1, before: null, after: [UUID _sM7TU-pzEeO_MsKtwSaYJA])

My IVersionableHandle object has populated itemId ad stateId attributes, but some others like origin are null.

My requirement is to download a copy of one of the change set files to the local file system. As far as you know, do all properties of the IVersionableHandle object need to be non-null?

sam detweiler commented Jun 17 '14, 6:38 p.m. | edited Jun 17 '14, 6:38 p.m.

its unlikely that any object MUST be completely non-null.

that is also the 1st time you have attempted to use the vmgr object..

I do so like debugging  interactively thru these kinds of issues

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.