It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I save my data in the RTC server with my follow-up action?

Yasuyuki Kubota (341015) | asked Jun 13 '14, 1:40 a.m.
I want to save any data in the RTC server with my follow-up action.
For example, using database or file , and so on.
RTC has any function to fit my requirement?

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jun 19 '14, 7:44 a.m.
unless you have your own counter, there is no mechanism to insure sequential numbering.  there are times when a sequence number is incremented but a workitem is not created.

A-1, A-2.. far as I know, the database access layer is not exposed for use for extension. I have wanted to add objects to the database as well.

so, as Ralph suggested, you would have to use your own JDBC connection (& configuration)  to a different table (maybe in the same database)

also, I am not sure how you replace the Jazz created ID with your own, and still have hte rest of the system work.
reports, queries, ... all use the ID field in lots of indirect ways.
Yasuyuki Kubota selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Yasuyuki Kubota commented Jun 23 '14, 4:13 a.m.

Hi, sam.
Thanks for your reply.

also, I am not sure how you replace the Jazz created ID with your own, and still have hte rest of the system work. reports, queries, ... all use the ID field in lots of indirect ways.
I don't mean to replace the Jazz created ID, and I want to use my own sequential number as one of custom workitem attributes.
unless you have your own counter, there is no mechanism to insure sequential numbering.  there are times when a sequence number is incremented but a workitem is not created.
I'm going to implement a new follow-up action with "save workitem" operation.
It increment a workitem number and set it into a workitem as a custom attribute.

sam detweiler commented Jun 23 '14, 7:47 a.m.

ok, I understand now.

you still must use your own jdbc connection to a database if that is where u will store the counter value. RTC does not expose the custom database interface they use.

if you used a 'file' the data would be stored on the server machine.

2 other answers

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Jun 13 '14, 1:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello,
can you be more specific and provide a real example of what you would like to do?

Thanks,
Eric

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 13 '14, 2:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/rtc-update-parent-duration-estimation-and-effort-participant/ shows how you would do that with work items. You can use the JavaAPI to create and save other RTC objects. You can use Java and REST/OSLC API's to contact other Jazz/OSLC applications and create and store data.

For other kinds of data sources you have to use Java API's to do this.

Comments
Yasuyuki Kubota commented Jun 17 '14, 10:54 p.m.

Hi, Ralph
Thanks for your prompt answer!
However, I want to create and save data without using RTC objects.
For example, define new database table on CCM DB and directly save my data into that tables.
Can I do that with RTC SDK?

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 18 '14, 3:25 a.m. | edited Jun 18 '14, 3:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please be more specific in your questions in the future.

This is indeed possible and there is a description well hidden in the SDK description on the Team Wiki e.g. https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RtcSdk20

However, I would recommend to not try that. There are a lot of open questions with Upgrades, Schema changes, repotools export etc.

If you want to persist data somewhere in a database, create your own DB and use you own persistency layer e.g. JDBC.

Yasuyuki Kubota commented Jun 19 '14, 2:04 a.m.

To be honest, I want to generate sequential workitem IDs for specific type items as mentioned at the following post.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/81100/is-it-possible-to-generate-sequential-workitem-ids-for-specific-type-items

I fully understand that you don't recommend this kind of function, but it is often required in Japan.
Well, I'm looking for a way for this function.
To implement it, I'm finding out the way to specify the previous workitem number.
At the moment, I have 3 options :
A:Creating dedicated database table for storing workitem number, to get & update workitem number
A-1 with database access api in RTC SDK
A-2 with original database access mechanism
B:To get the previous workitem number with workitem query.

Option B is easiest way but I concern about performance factor.
On the other hand, Option A is good for performance, but it's difficult to design database access mechanism.

Could you please give me some advise ?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.