It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Conceptual question about RTC-RQM integration

Claudia Callegari (44439771) | asked Apr 17 '09, 10:33 a.m.
I need to clarify my mind about the best approach on how to manage my defect management system... RTC? RQM? both?

I have read that you can have your Defect WI type defined in RTC, with all the customizations made there (workflow, permissions, etc.).
BUT you can also have a Defect defined in RQM, again with its workflow, permissions, etc. Additionally, in RQM you have the ability to -instead of using that Defect defined in RQM-
use the Defect WI type defined in RTC, so when someone wants to raise a defect in RQM it is really on RTC.

There should be something I missunderstanding with all these concepts...

If I have my defects only in RQM, I feel like loosing the capability to plan them on RTC.
If I have my defects only in RTC, and link to that in RQM, I'm forcing the test team to use both RTC and RQM.

In fact, what I feel like more natural, should be having my defects within RQM (that is the best environment for my test team), and have any kind of syncronization/linkage or whatever, to provide the capability to reference those RQM defects from RTC.
In this way, if I only want my team to work with RQM, that is fine. If I want my developers and PM to work and plan in RTC, then they have a complete/partial information
of the defects raised.
Although I feel this like more natural,,, nor sure if this can be done with 1.0.1.1...or even more, if my thinking is appropriate.

Could someone clarify my ideas about the best way to use these tools together? And how to accomplish that?

Cannot fit this into my mind yet. Thanks for additional reading suggestions as well.

Claudia

3 answers

permanent link
Adil Chahid (45524118) | answered Apr 17 '09, 8:19 p.m.
I need to clarify my mind about the best approach on how to manage my defect management system... RTC? RQM? both?

I have read that you can have your Defect WI type defined in RTC, with all the customizations made there (workflow, permissions, etc.).
BUT you can also have a Defect defined in RQM, again with its workflow, permissions, etc. Additionally, in RQM you have the ability to -instead of using that Defect defined in RQM-
use the Defect WI type defined in RTC, so when someone wants to raise a defect in RQM it is really on RTC.

If I have my defects only in RQM, I feel like loosing the capability to plan them on RTC.
If I have my defects only in RTC, and link to that in RQM, I'm forcing the test team to use both RTC and RQM.

In fact, what I feel like more natural, should be having my defects within RQM (that is the best environment for my test team), and have any kind of syncronization/linkage or whatever, to provide the capability to reference those RQM defects from RTC.
In this way, if I only want my team to work with RQM, that is fine. If I want my developers and PM to work and plan in RTC, then they have a complete/partial information
of the defects raised.
Although I feel this like more natural,,, nor sure if this can be done with 1.0.1.1...or even more, if my thinking is appropriate.

Could someone clarify my ideas about the best way to use these tools together? And how to accomplish that?

Cannot fit this into my mind yet. Thanks for additional reading suggestions as well.

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

if like us you must keep a track between the developers Change sets and the Work Items than Defect Management has to be dealt with in RTC.

the only thing that sucks about that RQM / RTC integration is the fact that we're unable to report on those "external" Work Items.

But here's how we think implementing it for the Testers that usually don't interact with RTC:
we'll define a generic user in RTc and we'll ask them to use it for Entering their defects (i.e RQM Defect Synchronizer).

This way we'll only loose one license for the testers that don't usually use RTC for the others, we'll ask them to use their already defined accounts.

I hope that it helped,

cheers,

permanent link
Rajesh Gottapu (20613621) | answered May 15 '09, 6:09 a.m.

of the defects raised.

Claudia

Hi,

How to integrate RQM with RTC

I have installed RQM and RTC on two different machines.

Now i would like to have integration between them?

can any one let me know the proceess to integrate RQM and RTC?

thanks in advance,
Rajesh Gottapu.

permanent link
Claudia Callegari (44439771) | answered May 15 '09, 10:05 a.m.
Hi Rajesh,
Go to the following link:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rqmhelp/v1r0m0/index.jsp

and search for "setting up defect management in Rational Team Concert". It has a detail explanation on how to accomplish what you need.

FYI. In my case, once I defined in RQM that RTC was my defect collector, I disabled the creation of defects in RTC, so now I have all the defects in RTC. If not, you will have part of the defects in RTC and part in RQM. It depends on your needs.
Although I disabled the creation of defects in RQM, I can still create execution defects from RQM, so they are logged into RTC.
Hope this helps
Claudia Callegari

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.