It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the best way to import work items to RTC

Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | asked May 27 '14, 10:26 a.m.
We want to migrate items from ClearQuest to RTC. Unfortunately it's not simple mapping. In some cases for one record in CQ, we will have 3 records in RTC which are linked. 

Ex: Defect in CQ will be mapped to "Issue, Defect, Task" which are linked by "Resolves/Resolved by" 

I am wondering what would be the best way create/import these records in RTC?

I can think of the following:
-> Perl script which can talk to CQ as well create WI in RTC via OSLC
-> Perl script which can export file a format and use Java with RTC Plain Java API to create WI in RTC
-> Use Eclipse to export CQ records in XML format and use Perl / Java to create WI 
-> Use Eclipse to export CQ records in XML format and use Eclipse to create Items in RTC, but I don't know if thi can create the way i need, for 1 CQ record create 3 WI and link them 

I am looking for most effective solution as well as less effort

Comments
sam detweiler commented May 27 '14, 11:10 a.m.

if you look at the bugzilla importer, it takes xml input. you will probably have to convert a little.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered May 27 '14, 12:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Karthik,

please review https://jazz.net/library/article/69

You may want to use the CQ Importer and a customized mapping file.

Thanks,
Eric
Karthik Krishnan selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Karthik Krishnan commented Jun 02 '14, 12:00 p.m.

Thanks. One of my main requirement is to while importing a Workitem, created a "Related" work item and link with this. How can this be done? any pointers?

sam detweiler commented Jun 02 '14, 2:51 p.m.

The excel importer can do some of the link types. Don't know about the CQ importer. 

Eric Jodet commented Jun 03 '14, 2:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Right.

Based on https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CQImportWizardTips
CQ Importer can handle the following links:

com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.core.blocks
com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.core.dependson
com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.core.parent
com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.core.children
com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.core.related

Thanks,
Eric

Karthik Krishnan commented Jun 04 '14, 3:49 a.m.

Thank you both. After reading  the wiki articles & Forum posts I found out that It doesn't suit our needs since we have to add "approvals" in work items (based on status of CQ records)

I guess I have to resort to programming the importer using Java / Perl as I read even with OSLC we cannot set the Approvals

Many thanks for your suggestions

Karthik Krishnan commented Jun 04 '14, 3:50 a.m.

Accepting this answer as this is the more generic solution just that I cannot use it my case. 

Eric Jodet commented Jun 04 '14, 4:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Or you may want to try the CQ Gateway (as the effort / workload to import CQ records might be identical to developing an in-house Java / Perl based solution)

The idea I have in mind is:
- setup incoming (CQ to RTC) synchronization
- implement mapping rules (so as to have approvals synchronized)
- let the gateway import CQ records
- once all records imported, shutdown the gateway, stop synchronization for resulting RTC work items

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.