It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrating from RTC 1.0 APIs to RTC 2.0 APIs

Justin Kong (1132) | asked Apr 14 '09, 10:14 a.m.
I have a question regarding moving from the old "Jazz Platform" APIs found in RTC 1.0 to the new RTC 2.0 REST-style APIs.

So, in the Hello Jazz component (https://jazz.net/learn/LearnItem.jsp?href=content/docs/hello-jazz/index.html), the extension points com.ibm.team.repository.service.serviceProvider and com.ibm.team.repository.common.components are extended for the service, and com.ibm.team.repository.client.clientLibraryFactory is extended for the client. My question then is, are these extension points still valid with RTC 2.0? Or do I need to make some changes, e.g. extend com.ibm.team.jfs.app.restServices instead for the service.

I guess the reason why I'm asking this is because there doesn't seem to be any tutorials where an Eclipse client interacts with a service that uses the REST-style APIs in RTC 2.0, so I was just a bit confused about this.

I'm also aware that RTC 2.0 supports the old RTC 1.0 APIs for the time being, but I'd like to migrate my component over to make use of the new APIs now.

2 answers

permanent link
John Camelon (1.7k14) | answered Apr 14 '09, 6:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There are not REST API equivalents for all that is available in RTC.
What functionality are you trying to take advantage of?

JohnC
SCM Server

justinko wrote:
I have a question regarding moving from the old "Jazz
Platform" APIs found in RTC 1.0 to the new RTC 2.0 REST-style
APIs.

So, in the Hello Jazz component
(https://jazz.net/learn/LearnItem.jsp?href=content/docs/hello-jazz/index.html),
the extension points
com.ibm.team.repository.service.serviceProvider
and
com.ibm.team.repository.common.components
are extended for the service, and
com.ibm.team.repository.client.clientLibraryFactory
is extended for the client. My question then is, are these extension
points still valid with RTC 2.0? Or do I need to make some changes,
e.g. extend
com.ibm.team.jfs.app.restServices
instead for the service.

I guess the reason why I'm asking this is because there doesn't seem
to be any tutorials where an Eclipse client interacts with a service
that uses the REST-style APIs in RTC 2.0, so I was just a bit
confused about this.

I'm also aware that RTC 2.0 supports the old RTC 1.0 APIs for the time
being, but I'd like to migrate my component over to make use of the
new APIs now.

permanent link
Justin Kong (1132) | answered Apr 15 '09, 10:14 a.m.
There are not REST API equivalents for all that is available in RTC.
What functionality are you trying to take advantage of?

JohnC
SCM Server

Essentially, I'm trying to migrate a component over from RTC 1.0 to RTC 2.0. This component, like the Hello Jazz example I linked, talks solely to Eclipse clients. Like you said, there isn't a REST API equivalent for everything in RTC, and so it seems I don't have to migrate much. I just wanted to make sure that I could still declare those extensions and that they weren't replaced by some new REST API.

This does lead me to another question I had. If I want to set up a REST service to communicate with an Eclipse client, I'm assuming that since there is no REST API equivalent for this, I'll have to follow the steps outlined in the Hello Jazz example, i.e. extend the serviceProvider extension point and specify a service interface, which is then used by the client within a clientLibraryFactory class?

Thanks for the help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.