It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why Does Inline Execution "Paint" Line By Line?

John Bobinyec (683432) | asked May 06 '14, 9:34 a.m.
Build Forge 8.0.0.1.

I have a project which has a conditional step which inlines a library.  From the start panel the steps tab shows all of the steps - including those being inlined.  When the job is being executed, however, each step only appears as it is being executed.  This will make it impossible to pause a step in advance of its execution.

How do I get BF 8.0.0.1 to act like BF 7.1.3 - which presented all of the steps when the project starts to execute?

Thanks,
John Bobinyec

2 answers

permanent link
John Bobinyec (683432) | answered May 08 '14, 9:13 a.m.
See defect 31154.

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered May 09 '14, 10:05 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 This is done because at the time of the job start, we don't really know which steps are going to run (especially for inlines) because of conditionals.  What you see on the job_start page is what is in the project record.  The running job page is showing you the build record.  We don't analyze the steps and traverse into the inlines because of scalability issues. Instead we "paint" the steps as we add them to the job record.  In 7.x the engine "guessed" at what would be running, was often incorrect, and still ended up painting the new steps up there.  This also caused some complications with restarts of those jobs whose steps had been guessed wrong.  

Comments
John Bobinyec commented May 09 '14, 10:12 a.m.

How do you pause a step which is inlined, then?  It doesn't show up until it is executing, and at that point it can't be paused - only canceled.

jb

Robert haig commented May 09 '14, 10:28 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I saw that question in the work item you created.  That is an unintended side effect of this model and I can see where that is problematic during project development.

As a workaround at the moment, you'd have to insert a .break step (which can't be done on the fly, and isn't really as useful, but it's all I've got just now).  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.