It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM/RTC communication for opening defects in beta1

Michael Walker (99215201157) | asked Mar 31 '09, 8:03 p.m.
I'm trying to setup RTC as the Defect Tracking system for RQM. Is this supposed to be working on Beta1 for both tools?

I followed the instructions in the RQM 1.0 User's Guide to setup both tools for this integration, but when I define the RTC server in RQM under Adminstration - Defects Provider it says "Fetching Project Areas" at the bottom but keeps running forever.

I've verified I can get to Team Concert from the RQM server and vice-versa.

6 answers

permanent link
Helen Lozoraitis (60624) | answered Apr 01 '09, 5:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, first to clarify -- you are running the RTC 2.0 beta with the RQM 2.0 beta, correct? Yes, that is supposed to work although setting it up might be a little tricky. We are putting together a tech note with some additional tips. It is still In Review, but I will add the info here in case it is of use to you. Please let us know if it helps, and if not we will keep looking.

Troubleshooting hints for setting up defect tracking in Rational Team Concert
To set up Rational Quality Manager so that defects are maintained in Rational Team Concert., you must configure both the RQM and RTC servers. This process is described in the help topic "Administering > Setting up defect management in Rational Team Concert." .

When you configure the integration, we recommend that you NOT install RQM and RTC on the same machine.

Furthermore, we recommend that you log on to either server using the host name or the IP address and NOT using localhost.

Install RQM and RTC on separate machines and log on to both servers using the host name or the IP address. Do NOT log on using localhost.

Although this is not recommended, if your environment requires that you install both products on the same machine, you must add localhost as the host name for accessing the RQM server. See step 1d, Current Value of the Cross Domain Host Whitelist property in the help topic "Setting up defect management in Rational Team Concert.. For example, you would add https://localhost:9443/jazz.

Resolving the problem
In addition, if both products are installed on the same machine, you must change the port number for one of the products and add different host names in the Domain Name Service (DNS). To add different host names:

1. Edit the WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts file (Linux: /etc/hosts)
2. Add an alias for RQM (e.g. 127.0.0.1 RQM)
3. Add an alias for RTC (e.g. 127.0.0.1 RTC)
4. Save your results.

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Apr 06 '09, 7:36 p.m.
Thank you for the advice.

Yes, I am running both RTC 2.0 Beta and RQM 2.0 Beta on separate machines and I've verified I can access them from both machines.

I followed the instructions under help topic "Setting up defect management in Rational Team Concert" and used IP Addresses instead of hostnames.

When I try and define RTC as the Defect Provider it just hangs and says Fetching Project Areas. I do not receive any error msgs.

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Apr 06 '09, 7:41 p.m.
I just got it to work. I had misread the instructions.

I was logging onto the server with LocalHost to do the configuration. When I switched to the server name and did the configuration it worked. Originally I thought I just needed to not specify LocalHost when defining the parameters.

Thanks for the help.

permanent link
Adil Chahid (45524118) | answered Apr 14 '09, 11:11 p.m.

I was logging onto the server with LocalHost to do the configuration. When I switched to the server name and did the configuration it worked. Originally I thought I just needed to not specify LocalHost when defining the parameters.

Thanks for the help.

Hi all,
on our end we did install in our lab an instance of RTC 1.0.1.1 and an instance of Rational Quality Manager 1.0.1 on the same server.
We did defined two ip adresses and we did bind the first instance of WAS to the first ip (for RTC) and we did the same on the second ip for RQM (with different ports for WAS even if the two instances are not running under the same ip).

We were able to setup correctly all the steps described here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rqmhelp/v1r0m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_config_rtc_defects.html

We even defined a generic user in LDAP and we did assign the JazzAdmin role to it: both instances are pointing to the same LDAP.
We did also assign respectively a Developer License and a Quality Manager license to that user in both systems.

We have no error message but each Defect that was created in the RTC project that was configured to duplicate the defects were never replicated in RQM and vice versa, no defect created in RQM was never replicated to RTC.

The only message that keeps repeating itself is:

[4/14/09 23:50:48:587 EDT] 00000037 SystemOut     O 23:50:48,586 [AsynchronousTaskRunner-2]  WARN bm.team.repository.transport.client.ClientHttpUtil  - HttpMethod should not have a defined host

Protocol: https:9443
Host: 172.21.87.197
Port: 9444

We did wait 500 seconds but nothing happened.
Any idea on what we should debug next?

By the way we tried to create in our lab (VM) the same configuration that we'll have in production.
Thanks,

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Apr 15 '09, 1:07 p.m.
I'm having a similar issue still. I have RQM 2.0 and RTC 2.0 on separate machines and I've configured the integration and I was able to select my Project Areas in RTC from the RQM setup interface.

However, when I open a defect in RQM, it never shows up in my RTC Project Area. In addition, the defect fields like Found In and others that are duplicated in RTC work items aren't being pre-populated in the RQM defect record as I would expect.

permanent link
Goshen Pan (106) | answered Apr 15 '09, 10:01 p.m.

Thanks for the help.

Hi all,
on our end we did install in our lab an instance of RTC 1.0.1.1 and an instance of Rational Quality Manager 1.0.1 on the same server.
We did defined two ip adresses and we did bind the first instance of WAS to the first ip (for RTC) and we did the same on the second ip for RQM (with different ports for WAS even if the two instances are not running under the same ip).

We were able to setup correctly all the steps described here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rqmhelp/v1r0m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_config_rtc_defects.html

We even defined a generic user in LDAP and we did assign the JazzAdmin role to it: both instances are pointing to the same LDAP.
We did also assign respectively a Developer License and a Quality Manager license to that user in both systems.

We have no error message but each Defect that was created in the RTC project that was configured to duplicate the defects were never replicated in RQM and vice versa, no defect created in RQM was never replicated to RTC.

The only message that keeps repeating itself is:

[4/14/09 23:50:48:587 EDT] 00000037 SystemOut     O 23:50:48,586 [AsynchronousTaskRunner-2]  WARN bm.team.repository.transport.client.ClientHttpUtil  - HttpMethod should not have a defined host

Protocol: https:9443
Host: 172.21.87.197
Port: 9444

We did wait 500 seconds but nothing happened.
Any idea on what we should debug next?

By the way we tried to create in our lab (VM) the same configuration that we'll have in production.
Thanks,

Thunder, we didn't expect the integration to work that way. We don't replicate records beteen both servers. Instead, defect is created in RTC <b>during the execution</b> and bi-linked to the execution result in RQM. We do sync the latest changes from RTC but that's for RQM user to see the states without opening link in RTC.

Hope this helps.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.