It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Selenium - Jazz Platform Integration

Ravi Sindri (11131) | asked Sep 10 '09, 11:21 a.m.
retagged Aug 10 '12, 7:54 a.m. by Nhi P Ta (18841018)
Hi There,
I have a requirement wherein I need to do a feasibility study to check Selenium integration using Jazz platform. Can I get any information around?
1.Is it supported by Jazz?
2.If yes, what are the pre-requisites?
3.If yes, the step-by-step process of establishing connectivity.

Your help will be highly appreciated
SRK

11 answers

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Sep 10 '09, 2:00 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
When you say Selenium I assume you are referring to the web test tool found here: http://seleniumhq.org/ ?
If so, your desired integration would likely be to run Selenium tests remotely?

There is currently no integration with Selenium. We do have an open adapter framework for running tests so one could be written for Selenium, although I am not aware of any work underway to do so. Depending on your investment in Selenium you could look into doing so yourself, or adapting the open source Command Line Adapter that ships with RQM to do so.

Also - take a look at Rational Functional Tester for your web testing needs.

Regards,
John

Hi There,
I have a requirement wherein I need to do a feasibility study to check Selenium integration using Jazz platform. Can I get any information around?
1.Is it supported by Jazz?
2.If yes, what are the pre-requisites?
3.If yes, the step-by-step process of establishing connectivity.

Your help will be highly appreciated
SRK

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Sep 11 '09, 1:27 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Sandesha,
You can use a combination of return codes, standard out, and standard error from the command line.
As a start, check out <RQM_INSTALL>\adapters\RQMCommandLineAdapter.zip

The command line adapter is open source and written in Java. The enclosed jars can be opened with a zip utility and you can view/edit all of the source code.

We may have more examples and documentation in the future but that can get you started.

Regards,
John

Hi John,

Can you please guide us how do we use open source command line of RQM to integrate with other tools.

Thanks,
Sandesha

permanent link
Olivier Béghain (1082133) | answered Dec 16 '10, 8:27 a.m.
Hello,

As I'm part of a project in which we're evaluating the usage of RQM but also have existing test scripts developed with Selenium, is there any progress or additional info regarding the build of an integration RQM/Selenium?

Regards,
Olivier

permanent link
Jean-Serge Gagnon (3112) | answered Feb 08 '12, 8:50 a.m.
The issue with the "shared" location is that it's not intuitive. I had a similar problem in trying to understand it. The help tip says:

Choose test resources from a shared location.
At execution time, the resources will be copied to the test machine.

But that isn't very clear - what you need to do for "shared" is defined the share path in the RQM server's list of shared locations, and the same share has to be mounted on the remote machine - I doubt that the file gets "copied" to the remote machine unless you count the act of the machine doing a network access to the files.

As for the "local" option, I would have expected a network mapped drive to be considered "local", but, nope, that isn't supported.

So, to share RFT or Selenium test scripts across a pool of automated environments, you either have to physically checkout the same files (copy or whatnot) on the C: drive or you have to use the same network share and use that same share on the RQM server.

Hope this clarifies it for you too.

permanent link
Thomas Neal (141133) | answered Feb 08 '12, 4:20 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RQM 4.0 we will be providing a new adapter (JUnit Selenium adapter) which will allow you to execute Selenium WebDriver API calls from within JUnit 4 testcases/testsuites. In the initial release of this new adapter the JUnit tests must reside locally on the machine running the JUnit Selenium adapter. You will also be able to run older Selenium RC sytle JUnit tests, but you will need to manually start a Selenium Server process on the same machine.

RQM 4.0 M7, which was just made available on Jan 30th, actually contains support for the new JUnit Selenium adapter. The adapter zip can be found in the RQM install at Install_Dir/JazzTeamServer/server/conf/qm/adapters/RQMJUnitSeleniumAdapter.zip.

permanent link
Tan Nguyen (761) | answered Feb 08 '12, 5:34 p.m.

what you need to do for "shared" is defined the share path in the RQM server's list of shared locations, and the same share has to be mounted on the remote machine - I doubt that the file gets "copied" to the remote machine unless you count the act of the machine doing a network access to the files.

You do not need to mount the shared location on the remote RFT machine. During playback, the script is copied to the temp folder of the RFT machine and run from there.

permanent link
Sandesha Thandra (611) | answered Sep 11 '09, 5:58 a.m.
Hi John,

Can you please guide us how do we use open source command line of RQM to integrate with other tools.

Thanks,
Sandesha

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Dec 18 '10, 4:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Olivier,
What is your plan
1 to execute Selenium Scripts from RQM.
2. to muigrate selenium script to RQM.

For case #1, i think the working solution for you would be using Command Libne Adapter as mentioned above in this thread.

For case #2, there is no such migration tool from Rational side. However RQM ptovides RESTful public APIs to migrate any asset provided you follow the xml schema defined for the assets. However RQM's native script type is manual script and everyother script is external to RQM which is integrated usng corresponding adapter like RFT Adapter for RFT script.

Let me know if I can help you further.

permanent link
Olivier Béghain (1082133) | answered Dec 19 '10, 6:22 a.m.
Hello,

Thanks for the follow-up. Our actual plan is "simply" to add the selenium scripts to test cases in RQM and ideally be able to trigger their launch from RQM and catch the result back in RQM. For the moment, we have are at the stage where we are trying to find out/understand why we can't specify the Selenium scripts in RQM (using the Command Line Parameter) since there is a message saying that we don't have access to the shared location?!

Any help/recommendations on how to proceed is welcome :-)

Regards,
Olivier Bghain

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Dec 20 '10, 2:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You need to add shared location from where you need to import or execute shared script (or any external type).
See System Properties -> Shared location setting to add shared location.
Hello,

Thanks for the follow-up. Our actual plan is "simply" to add the selenium scripts to test cases in RQM and ideally be able to trigger their launch from RQM and catch the result back in RQM. For the moment, we have are at the stage where we are trying to find out/understand why we can't specify the Selenium scripts in RQM (using the Command Line Parameter) since there is a message saying that we don't have access to the shared location?!

Any help/recommendations on how to proceed is welcome :-)

Regards,
Olivier Bghain

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.