It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Promoting workspace snapshot to integration build

Alex Mulholland (712111) | asked Mar 30 '09, 9:26 p.m.
Hi,
I have an integration stream and a number of development streams. I am trying to 'promote' the changes from a successful build on a dev stream into the integration stream. I am following the instructions on this page to promote the snapshot created by the build in the build workspace:
https://jazz.net/help/rational-team-concert/1.0.1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.concert.doc/topics/t_getting-started.html

The 'promote' appeared to complete successfully, but the code updates did not appear in the integration stream.... in the end I relpaced each component in the integration stream with the component baseline from the desired snapshot. Did I miss something? I expected the snapshot promotion from the build workspace to the integration stream to actually deliver the code changes into the integration stream. What did I miss/do wrong?

Thanks, Alex.

2 answers

permanent link
John Camelon (1.7k14) | answered Mar 31 '09, 8:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Promote only associates the snapshot with the specified stream.
It does not impact the history of the stream in any way.

The baselines from the snapshot can be delivered/replaced in the stream
to have the effect you need.

JohnC
SCM Server

amulholl wrote:
Hi,
I have an integration stream and a number of development streams. I
am trying to 'promote' the changes from a successful build on a dev
stream into the integration stream. I am following the instructions
on this page to promote the snapshot created by the build in the
build workspace:
https://jazz.net/help/rational-team-concert/1.0.1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.concert.doc/topics/t_getting-started.html

The 'promote' appeared to complete successfully, but the code updates
did not appear in the integration stream.... in the end I relpaced
each component in the integration stream with the component baseline
from the desired snapshot. Did I miss something? I expected the
snapshot promotion from the build workspace to the integration stream
to actually deliver the code changes into the integration stream.
What did I miss/do wrong?

Thanks, Alex.

permanent link
Alex Mulholland (712111) | answered Mar 31 '09, 8:54 a.m.
Thanks John, so it sounds like I wasn't missing anything - is there a 'best practice' for the actual mechanism of delivering/replacing the baselines? I think I'm coming down to these steps:
1) For each dev stream: identify the required snapshot from the latest good build and promote it from the build workspace to the dev stream it corresponds to (this is to make it easier to find on the 'replace').
2) Open the integration stream, and for each component do 'replace with...' 'component from snapshot' ... select the dev stream and then the snapshot.

Does this sound right? It is done individually for each component?

Also, in jazz.net do you make all the changes to a particular component in a single stream? I'm wondering what happens if one component has been changed in two streams - does the replace method still work in that case? Would you need to deliver the changes from the first stream (into integration), accept the new baseline into the second stream and then rebuild it to get a valid snapshot to then deliver up into the integration stream? Or would accepting the baseline into the second stream overwrite any changes it had to the component?

Thanks, Alex.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.