It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Burn down report using story point

Yenthao Pham (1848) | asked Mar 06 '14, 1:09 a.m.
edited Mar 12 '14, 12:58 p.m. by Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431)

I have searched for this question from the previous posts:

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/116313/i-need-burn-up-and-burn-down-report-using-story-point

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/95807/sprint-burn-down-chart

We need the Sprint burn down which displays the Story points on the Y  - axis, and with dots, each dot represents the remaining story points per each working day.  We also would like to see the planned work in term of total story point line on top.

Per the suggestion from the previous posts, I checked the release burndown and it is not exactly what we need.  I also look at the story point remaining and it is also lacking of the planned work on top.

What options do I have to get such report into RTC 4.0.5? Which option is recommended?  I try to list a few tools below that I have available (but with no prior experience w/ them).

author a new report using BIRT? 

author a new report using Insight/RRDI?

Is there an existing report somewhere that I can use?

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Mar 07 '14, 5:54 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you explain why you would want a Sprint Burndown report that behaves this way? The intention behind the burndown report is to use remaining effort to draw a line based on the expected effort (from the initial hours estimates).

Since story-point-as-effort-measure is much less granular, I'm not sure how useful this report would actually be. Say the team has two 5 point stories, one 8 point and one 3 point story. Since points accrue when the story is complete, you are likely to go a couple days showing no progress at all. Then it will dip by 3 or 5 points, then perhaps level off again, showing no progress until it dips for the next story completion. How is that more helpful than the existing report?

Yenthao Pham commented Mar 12 '14, 12:46 p.m.

One of the projects that I support is running a weekly sprint iteration.  They only use story points and stories (no tasks).  The story points fluctuates a lot during the [1 week] iteration, and they would like to see the planned story points line on top (so they can monitor the fluctuation), as well as the burn down story points plotting on the x-y axis, (so they can monitor the efforts).

How difficult is it to author this?

Thanks!

Millard Ellingsworth commented Mar 12 '14, 12:59 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have not yet written a custom report and can't comment on the level of difficulty. I have added report-related tags to this post and hopefully someone from the reporting team will contribute. 

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.