It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC BIRT Report throwing exception for flat file data source.

Chethna Shenoy (3644) | asked Jan 28 '14, 5:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 28 '14, 5:15 a.m.
 Hi,
A customer is facing the below problem. I request you to please help me with this. This is what he wrote to me. Thanks in advance.

Server Version: RTC V4.0.2

Customer Email:
I am creating a flat file data source with RTC , where I am connecting to a CSV file. I provide this CSV file under Files at the time of deployment on to the server.

This works file in the RTC report viewer but fails after the deployment on to the server. Below is the error that is displayed in the web browser.

Your support is highly appreciated.

Steps : 
1. Develop the report with CSV file as flat file data source
2. Preview the report design in Eclipse Client -- Worked fine
3. Deploy the report on server with CSV file attached under Files Section 
4. Run the Report in Web Broswer. - Failed

Error Message : 
Data Set1::WI_ID
Data Set1::SUMMARY
Data Set::UniqueID
Data Set::Name
Data Set::Role

Jan 28, 2014 1:31 PM

The following items have errors: 
Table (id = 12): 
+ An exception occurred during processing. Please see the following message for details:
Cannot open the connection for the driver: org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.flatfile.
    org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.OdaException: Cannot open flat file database under directory: C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\workspace-4.0.2\XLSDataSourceProject 

Note: My other BIRT Reports works fine with jazz Datasource...both in RTC Eclipse Client Viewer and Web Browser after the deployment.

One answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Jan 28 '14, 6:32 a.m.
edited Jan 28 '14, 6:33 a.m.
Hi Chetna,
It seems that you have hardcoded path to csv files in data source.
Please check whether you have any data in C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\workspace-4.0.2\XLSDataSourceProject   on your server.
Also please check permissions to that directory on the server.

Let us know if that helps.

Comments
Chethna Shenoy commented Jan 29 '14, 4:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Krzysztof,
Thanks for your help.

The exact case is as follows:
Customer wants a report that merges data from two sources namely the jazz data & the csv data. Customer is working on the report from his client machine.

On the client machine, he is using eclipse client to create the report design. The design view shows the data from jazz as well as the csv file. I also see that the join is successful as it shows all the rows post join.

The problem is faced when he is trying to deploy the report. He gives the path of the report  present in his local drive. As this path does not exist on the server, I guess it throws an error. I am working with him & their admin team to see how to push this report on the server.  Does this mean that all report deployments should always happen from the server machine?

Now the second question I have is, what folder permission will be required to access the file? Which user needs to have access to the path? Server machine admin, jazz admin or the user who tries to deploy the report.

Regards,
Chethna

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Jan 29 '14, 5:27 a.m.

Hi  Chethna,
Reports are rendered on the server so all data for reports must be available on server machines. Thanks to that you don't need e.g. to install BIRT on each machine when you want to browse the report and you have better performance.

It should be enough to have read and execute permissions for the user starting Tomcat or WAS.

Tojan John commented Sep 04 '14, 8:15 a.m.

Hi Krysztof,

Adding csv file to Files section during deploying the report is not enough? If not, is there any specific path where we need to store the csv file in server? After storing the file in server, where we need to add the path in report? Please help.

Regards,
Tojan.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.