It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Issue in updating locked items in RRC

Lipi Das (2612635) | asked Jan 22 '14, 3:58 a.m.

HI ,

I get Forbidden error message if I try to update a Requirement in RRC through OSLC if that item is locked for editing by some other user. Is there any way to deal with this?

Thanks

Lipi

2 answers

permanent link
Gabriel Ruelas (1.1k13) | answered Jan 22 '14, 8:43 a.m.
Hi,
   OSLC will not be able to update the artifact will it is locked, and the only option to unlock it is via the WEB interface. If that functionality is required I suggest to submit an enhancement request.

Best Regards

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jan 22 '14, 9:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Lipi,

Unfortunately, if an artifact is locked by another user, the application is designed so that no other user will be able to access this artifact until the lock is released. However, the "Forbidden" response that you receive should contain an RDF response which shows the user who currently holds the lock for the artifact in question, so you can then contact this user to see when they will be finished editing, or if they can release the lock so that you can work with that artifact. 

Alternatively, I believe if you have JazzAdmin privileges (or if you are an Administrator for the given project), then you should have the ability to override the lock for the current artifact. This isn't entirely advisable unless you are certain that the user who currently owns the lock is not editing the artifact, since the current user who posses the lock could potentially lose all of their work, or have merge conflicts, etc. after the lock is overridden. This option should be used with caution.

Another option, if you are working with requirements programmatically, is that you can try to perform a GET on the lock for the artifact in question, to see if one exists before you attempt to edit. If you know the URI of the artifact you are attempting to edit (e.g. https://clmweb.ibm.com:9443/rm/resources/HjsdalkhjIUuhGJU) then the URI for the corresponding lock resource will be the same URI, replacing "resources" with "locks" (e.g. https://clmweb.ibm.com:9443/rm/locks/HjsdalkhjIUuhGJU). You will need to make sure that a valid "Referer" header is provided when performing this GET though, or else you may get an error response indicating a potential CSRF attack.

If you have any more questions, you can consult the product documentation which may be helpful. A simple search for "RM locks" should bring you to the correct page.

Hope this helps!
Mike Jaworski

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.