It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Looking for a more simple way for a user to create a child work item from a parent work item

John Hetrick (261012) | asked Jan 10 '14, 10:49 a.m.
RTC 4.0.4
The basic functionality of what I am looking for is available in the Links tab and field.  However, I am looking for a way to stream line the creation (maybe addition) of child work items of a specific work item type.  Ideally I am looking to create a link field who's add button is "Add Child" or "Add [specific child WI type]".  Then the create work item dialog box opens for filling in.  Click OK and repeat.

Context: The customer wants to have a Peer Review work item type to hold basic peer review information.  Each comment during a peer review must be captured along with other attributes associated with it.  The current solution is to create a Comment work item type.  Instances of this work item type can be children of the Peer Review.  The number of comments for each peer review is unknown and need to be created dynamically during the peer review - generally by a moderator.  Creating comments quickly and efficiently becomes important, hence looking for a quicker way to create linked child work items.

Thanks
John Hetrick

One answer

permanent link
Christophe Lucas (86234948) | answered Jan 10 '14, 10:09 p.m.
Hi John, could this Using Reference Presentations to Create Links and Show Linked Work Items in RTC link be what you are looking for ?

Comments
John Hetrick commented Mar 24 '14, 9:34 a.m.

Christophe, Thanks for the reply.  I am just now getting back to this for my customer.  Your response is most of the answer.  Is there a way in the Add Link dialog box to have the "Type" preset rather than "(Show All)"?  I would like to have that preset to a specific custom work item type.

Thanks
John Hetrick

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.