It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to keep a query constantly updated in Excel?

Dvir Dukhan (111) | asked Mar 05 '13, 3:40 a.m.
Hi
I need to constantly extract queries for analysis on Excel.
Is there any other, useful way to schedule the queries export, or updating the Excel file via Excel itself (like updating a data connection) without doing so manually (meaning by export work items to *.csv file)?
Excel can get data from a web page, but when i tried to import the data (from the web UI - that's where the query's link leads to) it failed.

Thanks
Dvir

Comments
Darrell Miller commented Apr 25 '13, 3:28 p.m.

I am also interested in learning how this may be done....preferably without needing to code Java and such.  Is it possible to do this using native functions and features of RTC and Excel?

2 answers

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered Sep 11 '13, 10:53 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is nothing out of box that will do this - you would need to investigate if this can be scripted manually.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 12 '13, 5:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you search the net for EXCEL and REST, you can find several Extensions to EXCEL that allow using REST to call out for data, This would be one possible way to do it. You would have to code the way to access the RTC CCM OSLC and REST servcies yourself as Stephanie suggests above.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Sep 12 '13, 5:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The other way round would be to use the Plain Java Client Libraries or a server process to extract data to .csv files. Some hints here: http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/using-expressions-for-automation/ and http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/using-work-item-queris-for-automation/

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.