It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to restirct data of Rational Insight report to the respective RTC Project Areas?

Dhanya Saseendran (8831421) | asked Jan 03 '14, 5:36 a.m.
When I am creating reports in Report Studio and run the report, it gives the data of all the project Areas in RTC.
But when I am loading this report to a project area, I would like to restrict the report user to see the data pertaining to only that project area. Is there any solution to this?

Thanks
Dhanya

Accepted answer

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 03 '14, 5:45 a.m.
Hello Dhanya,

If you use the data model with security (Rational Reporting Data Model (DW+CALM).zip), a user running a report will only be able to see the data from the project areas he is member of. If you use the data model without security the user will be able to see data from all the projects.

For more details see:
Switching to the unrestricted data model
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrdi.admin.doc/topics/t_admin_switch_data_models.html

If you want to have a report showing results from a single project area you might need to create a customized version filtered on that specific project area. I don't think there is a way for the report to be aware of the RTC project area it's invoked from when running from CLM.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi
Dhanya Saseendran selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dhanya Saseendran commented Jan 06 '14, 11:50 p.m.

Hi Francesco,

Thank you for your response. I believe the data model that we are having in our RI server is not the one with the security. I hope there is a way to make it secure the same way of reversing it?

As a workaround I will put the filter for each project area to get the reports specific to the RTC project area.

Thanks
Dhanya

3 other answers

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 07 '14, 4:18 a.m.
Hello Dhanya,

to know which data model you are currently using you can check this thread:

Howto find if the CLM Data Model used is with security or not in Report Studio
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/131957/howto-find-if-the-clm-data-model-used-is-with-security-or-not-in-report-studio

If you want to switch to the model with security enabled you can use the procedure described in

Switching to the unrestricted data model
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrdi.admin.doc/topics/t_admin_switch_data_models.html

just when you are on "Step 4: Select archives to load" you should select Rational Reporting Data Model (DW+CALM).zip (data model with security) instead of Rational Reporting Data Model (DW+CALM)-no-security.zip (data model without security).

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Comments
Dhanya Saseendran commented Feb 04 '14, 4:14 a.m.

Hi Franseco,

We have implemented the above data model with security. And while testing from the reporting I got the result as mentioned in your link ( - where 1 = 1 : indicates that the model WITH security is used ). But when testing with an actual user, it was throwing data from all the projects and not the project to which the user has access.

Is there anything that i am missing?

Thanks

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Feb 04 '14, 4:53 a.m.
edited Feb 04 '14, 4:54 a.m.
Hello Dhanya,

you can verify if the security information are properly populated in the data warehouse.
The query below will give you an outlook of which project every resource has access to in RRDI, if security is enabled:

DB2
select riods.project.name as project, riods.resource.name as resource, riods.resource.reference_id
from riods.project_resource_lookup, riods.project, riods.resource
where riods.project_resource_lookup.project_id = riods.project.project_id
and riods.project_resource_lookup.resource_id = riods.resource.resource_id

ORACLE
select riods.project.name "project", riods."RESOURCE".name "resource", riods."RESOURCE".reference_id
from riods.project_resource_lookup, riods.project, riods."RESOURCE"
where riods.project_resource_lookup.project_id = riods.project.project_id
and riods.project_resource_lookup.resource_id = riods."RESOURCE".resource_id;

Note: the matching is done on the email address specified in CLM against the username you see in the top of the screen when you log in in RRDI.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Comments
Dhanya Saseendran commented Feb 05 '14, 11:20 p.m.

Hi Fransesco,

I have the query result of this DB2 query and I see that the user details are properly filled. Do see any other reason for this security not working?

Thanks
Dhanya 

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Feb 06 '14, 4:26 a.m.
Hello Dhanya,

if the user to project mapping is good in the database there are 2 leads I would follow:

1) verify that the user that you are connected in into Insight has a valid email address in CLM, that this email address is the same value that you see in the top of the Insight WebUI when you are logged in, and that it matches the one you see in riods.resource.

2) Maybe the import of the data model was not successful. I would try to import it again manually by creating a new Import task and running it for Rational Reporting Data Model (DW+CALM).zip

This procedure was described in the old info center for CLM:

Importing the data models and reports on Rational Reporting for Development Intelligence
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.rational.rcpr.help.doc/topics/t_import_data_model_package.html

Pay particular attention to point 7 to check all the folders, or the import will fail.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.