It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

branching a stream and keep following the original stream

Elik Katz (1313) | asked Nov 27 '13, 7:17 a.m.
retagged Dec 16 '13, 1:08 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Hi, i use the Jazz Rational Team Concert Version: 3.0.1.3.
I have a stream which i want to branch from and make new things, while keeping in touch with the original branch.
Practically, i want the changes made to the original branch to affect the new one, but the changes in the new one to not affect the original.

Is something like this possible?
Thanks in advance.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 27 '13, 8:33 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 27 '13, 8:35 a.m.
Elik,

RTC has streams, we don't use the word branch and I think there are differences. Users work against a stream and deliver their work there. Using a flow target to multiple streams allows you to integrate work between streams.

You can create a new stream from another (call it branch, if you like) or from a snapshot, or from baselined components.
The new Stream is the one you want to use for the new stuff. The old one you want to use for maintenance.

You can develop independently against each stream. If you have changes on the original stream, that you want to promote to the new stream, you point your repository workspace for the new stream to the old stream. You add the old stream as flow target an make it current.

Then you see the incoming (and outgoing) changes - the differences between your workspace and the flow target. You can now accept (and merge in) the changes on the old stream into your repository workspace.

Now, without delivering to the old stream, change your flow target to the new stream, integrate and test the changes there. Finally deliver to the new stream. This brings the integration of the new stuff on the old stream and the changes on the new one back into the new stream.

This is, in theory, how this is supposed to work.

Elik Katz selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Elik Katz commented Nov 27 '13, 8:38 a.m.

I see, Thanks! 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.