It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Who owns defects

Erik anderson (38315029) | asked Oct 01 '13, 3:19 p.m.
We have separate users testing and developing.  When defects are found while testing, a tester creates a defect and it's eventually assigned to a development reource (owner).  The testing team is using the "Created By" field to represent the tester and the "Owned by" field to represent the developer.  When a tester leaves the team it creates a problem (since the "Created By" field can not be changed). 

There are probably better ways to manage ownership and I'm looking for recommendations (and hopefully doc) that says how.

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 01 '13, 6:44 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
"Created by" should just be used to mean what it says ... i.e. the user that originally created the work item.   What is meant by "represent the tester"?    Is the "the tester that is supposed to verify that the defect has been fixed"?   If so, I'd just use the "Approval" mechanism, add a "verified" approval, and assign the tester as the owner of that approval.

Comments
Erik anderson commented Oct 02 '13, 8:01 a.m.

Yes, I think our test teams are using the "Created By" field as a shortcut to represent the tester responsible for verification.  I agree, a verification approval would do the trick (just need to train the testers to create the approval when creating the defect).

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Oct 01 '13, 7:49 p.m.
We have a similar thing.  While yes, we use the Approval mechanism and the creator does not HAVE to be the approver, if someone leaves the team/company and are no longer in RTC, the developer may or may not know who they should then use as the approver.  Since approval records are not auto-created by RTC (nor do we auto-create them with additional tooling), it is the responsibility of the developer to add the approval record and select the approver. 

For this, we have requested that our managers notify the RTC Administrators when someone leaves the company/organization who is still the CreatedBy of unresolved Defects and we can bulk-change them using a V3.0 eclipse client (3.0 allowed it, and the functionality was removed in 4.0).  I have tried to do the workarounds where you can make the creator attribute R/W but there is still an issue getting permissions since I can't find a permissions switch to allow certain roles to change that attribute even if R/W.  I have a current PMR open for this.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 01 '13, 10:41 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Why would one use the CreatedBy property to represent something other than the intended purpose, i.e. to record who created the work item.  If you want some semantically different property, create a new property with the appropriate name and semantics.

Kevin Ramer commented Oct 02 '13, 9:36 a.m.

Because one can ?  :D

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.