It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I invoke a Build Forge build project on the correct server?

Scott Crouch (48532326) | asked Aug 06 '13, 11:46 a.m.
 I'm trying to write a Build Forge project that will clean up some extra files not normally done by the purge routine. I see that I can chain to project and have that do the work. Using this I can see two approaches, but I'm not sure how to do either. I can either get the chained project to run on the correct server (the same server as the job being purged) or run it on all servers. 

I can't figure out though how to get the server that the calling job was run on. I don't see it in the BF_CALLER fields, I do see the BF_CALLER_TAG which tells me what I need to delete, but not which server it was run on.

Alternatively I could have it run on all of the servers, but I don't see a good way to broadcast to all of the servers that would result from a selector.

Any ideas?

2 answers

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered Aug 07 '13, 4:46 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 the .bset command also has options for "server" and "selector" that you could execute using the BF_CALLER environment variables that a chain would inherit from the parent.  Specifically, take a look at BF_CALLER_SERVER 

You'll end up doing something like:
    .bset server $BF_CALLER_SERVER

permanent link
Ryan Ruscett (1.0k413) | answered Aug 06 '13, 2:35 p.m.
 Hey, Scott. 

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but there is a "Sticky" option you can set for a project. This will make it so that all parts of a project will run on the same server. Here is a link for the Sticky Process.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.