It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Has anyone successfully done a Server Rename? Tomcat, Linux 64, MSSQL


Mike Shkolnik (9657160143) | asked Sep 24 '13, 4:22 p.m.
I have killed 22 hours now trying to do a server rename and repair the results. All I'm trying to do is take a copy of the production databases and load them on a test server so we can test the upgrade from 4.0.1 to 4.0.4. Unfortunately, even after several conference calls with IBM, there appears to be no getting this to work. I followed the instructions here and ended up recreating all the app registrations and "friend" relationships with help from IBM. Errors referencing the production server pop up no matter what we do. We're using Tomcat (without LDAP) and Linux 64 on the app server and MSSQL 2008 on the database server. We are using the single server topology in both cases and we refreshed all 4 databases - jazz, JTS, DW, QM ("jazz" rather than "ccm" because we upgraded from 2.x). We previously had the test server working on 4.0.1 (upgraded from 2.x, which did not require the server rename process).

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.install.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_prepare_sandbox_server_rename.html



Comments
1
Millard Ellingsworth commented Sep 24 '13, 5:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi, Mike. Sorry to hear you are having issues. When you say "help from IBM", were you working with L2 through a PMR? I'm looking for folks to lend a hand.


FWIW, I worked with some folks that were heavily involved in testing/verifying server rename during its development. I don't have data about your exact configuration but I know they went through a lot of these and after a while they just worked. It is, as you are already aware, an involved process where everything has to be done just right for it to be successful.

One answer



permanent link
Kot T. (1.5k11219) | answered Sep 25 '13, 8:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Mike,

I've done a rename before, but with Tomcat on Windows. To create a test environment, I copied the JazzTeamServer directory from the source server to the test machine. I modified the database information in teamserver.properties (of all applications) to point to the test databases. Then, I went thru the rename. One thing I learned from going thru this rename process is to NOT manually update public URL in teamserver.properties as this will cause the process to fail. The public URL in teamserver.properties will be updated by the rename process.

Your answer


Register or to post your answer.