It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can a Plan be for multiple projects on Hub.jazz.net?

Peter Abowd (1122) | asked Sep 18 '13, 1:46 p.m.
edited Sep 18 '13, 2:04 p.m.
 Even though it appears from the mouse over help that a plan can be owned by a team area not just a project, it seems this feature may be disabled in hub.jazz.net, is this true?  Is it possible to have a plan spread over multiple projects on jazz.hub.net at all, if so how?

One answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Sep 19 '13, 7:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Peter,

JazzHub does not currently support the creation of team areas.  The mouse over help is misleading; currently the only option you have is your project.

I don't think it is currently possible to create a plan that spans multiple projects.  Is this something you need?

Comments
Peter Abowd commented Sep 19 '13, 7:51 a.m.

The need is driven from the practice of separating the team artifacts by team roles.  So even in a very simple App dev case you will likely have the App side of things and the Web or cloud services side of things.  In my case these are a couple separate developers and we didn't want to combine code spaces into one project.  Though there are 2 projects we want coordinated plans as one project is for the embedded app feature and the other is for the complementary work on the web/server side.

I noticed I could copy work items between projects and thought that might solve this issue so I could share Epics and Stories between projects and they could associate their work tasks with those same Epics and stories but that didn't appear to work well either as copying the parent Epic or Story to another project caused a problem with the children having confused parent references.
Can a project have BOTH a github connection and it's own local source code in jazzhub?

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Sep 19 '13, 8:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Peter,

This is great feedback for us!

You might consider using one project for your development.  You can create work item categories, so you could file your work items against "App" or "Web."

Within your project, you can create multiple components so you can keep your code somewhat separated but in the same stream.  You could have an "app" component and a "web" component.

When you create a project that connects to a GitHub repo, we still setup Jazz source control for you.

Peter Abowd commented Sep 19 '13, 3:59 p.m.

you suggestion is very acceptable thank you, and also for clarifying github and Jazz source control.

Sorry to add another item to the thread, but I was initially thinking I could better control source access through projects vs. components within one project and then use of independent contractors isn't a problem because they won't be invited to the other project and then the source is a little safer/protected.

Thanks a lot!

-Peter 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.