It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to modify the Team Area attribute of a work item.

He Huang (31911) | asked Aug 22 '13, 11:13 p.m.
We have a project area, and it has two team areas (suppose A and B).
When I create a work item in this project area, RTC always select team area A for me.
And there's no way for me to select team area B.
Why this happens?
And how can I change the team area of a already saved work item.

Comments
Takehiko Amano commented Aug 22 '13, 11:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Do you belong to both team area A and B ?

He Huang commented Aug 23 '13, 1:42 a.m.

Yes, I belong to both.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Simon Eickel (1.1k75457) | answered Aug 23 '13, 4:45 a.m.
Normaly the team area is selected by choosing the "Planned For" fiels - this belongs to the category and each category has to be associated to a team area (default is project area for the top category)
He Huang selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 23 '13, 7:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I would suggest looking at https://jazz.net/library/article/589 to better understand how things are related in RTC

Comments
Simon Eickel commented Aug 23 '13, 7:14 a.m. | edited Aug 23 '13, 7:16 a.m.

Just a short extract :)

Categories

To allow users to assign a work item to a team, the project area provides categories. A category is basically a human readable text. Each category is associated to a project or team area.  

It is possible to have multiple categories assigned to a team area. This can help with planning, work balance and reporting. For example it is possible to create a category "MyProduct" with subcategories "Core", "User Interface" assigned to one team. These are also typical categories.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 24 '13, 12:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A work item is assigned to a team area based on:
- the Category assigned to the FiledAgainst property of the work item,
- the timeline of the iteration selected by the PlannedFor property of the work item, and
- the Category mappings defined in the Work Item Categories page of the project area of the work item.
So to assign the work item to Team B, you would need to set the FiledAgainst property of the work item to be a category that is mapped by the project area to Team B for the timeline of the PlannedFor iteration of the work item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.