It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Extract Requirements from Word Document into RRC

Ken Creager (6542220) | asked Apr 01 '13, 3:51 p.m.

The instructions say you can do it, I've tried for more than an hour and can't figure out the right way.  Seems like every time I try it creates a rew requirement artifact for each line.  Is there some way to take a word document and import requires from something like this.  I would like to end up with 3 Features, with the HEADING part being the NAME and the second line of text being text in the Feature Artifact:

Validate Loan term and amount

The Mortgage application needs to validate loan term and amount in the UI

Requirement #2

Requirement #3

3 answers

permanent link
Chase Patterson (363) | answered Apr 01 '13, 5:04 p.m.
edited Apr 01 '13, 5:05 p.m.
Hey Ken,

We do not support that capability directly.  I would not have expected that to be posted anywhere.  When importing rich text into a module, any text with Word's built-in heading styles applied to it will get treated as a heading in the module.

In release 403, there is a change that you can use to your advantage in order to accomplish something very similar to this.  Follow the steps below to modify the document with your word processor:
1. Open the document in your editing application
2. Create a new style that is based off of the heading style that you would like the text to have.  You will also need to make sure it is a character style as opposed to a paragraph style.
3. Type the heading part of the requirement and assign the style that you just created to it.  
3a. After the heading, press (shift + enter) to create a vertical tab and new line that is in the same paragraph.
3b. Type the requirement text on the new line.  You may also apply normal text formatting to it to differentiate it from the heading or name.  

One slight caveat is that the heading text will also be part of the requirement text.  If you are using RM 403, after following these steps on your document, you should have 3 requirements, with the heading text as the title and beginning of the artifact's text.

Also, if you are interested, the defect that was fixed in 403 to enable this is here:
Format is not preserved when converting an uploaded document (62507)

Please let me know if there are any other question.

Thanks

Comments
Indradri Basu commented Apr 02 '13, 7:04 a.m.

Hi Chase,

Thanks for sharing.

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Apr 01 '13, 4:05 p.m.
Hi Ken,

Have you tried the steps as mentioned in the link below?
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_import_reqs_from_docs.html&scope=null

permanent link
Fred Atwater (23810) | answered Apr 05 '13, 4:51 p.m.
 I just discovered that if you use Text Delimiters and put the name that you want in the first line after the begin delimiter with the text on a new line or lines before the end delimiter, the name will be the Title of the artifact. As mentioned above, it is also repeated as the first line of the Primary Text.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.