It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I unset 'Current Iteration'?

Andrew Codrington (17733135) | asked Aug 15 '13, 5:08 p.m.
retagged Aug 15 '13, 6:03 p.m. by Joseph Salomone (25613)
I can't see an obvious way to unset the 'Current Iteration'. Is there one other than selecting a different iteration as current?

Backstory:
We've got no releases planned for a particular team/timeline right now so no release iterations have been created.
The last release in that timeline finished and has been archived.

However, if I 'Show Archived', the last iteration in the last release is still marked as a 'Current Iteration'. Iteration dates are set and are dates in the past.

It bugged me that it showed 'Current Iteration' even though it should be complete, but since I couldn't see a way to unset the 'Current Iteration' or mark it as completed I left it and archived it.

I was just reminded of it when a query for work items 'Planned For ' the 'Current Iteration' across the project area also pulled a couple of WI from that archived iteration.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Joseph Salomone (25613) | answered Aug 15 '13, 6:00 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 15 '13, 6:10 p.m.
There is currently no way to do this with the UI, but an enhancement request for this feature can be found here: Allow to unset the current iteration (79007). Also, here are a few work arounds you can try. 

I believe this would be the best solution based on what you described: 
1) Create a new iteration (call it something like current iteration placeholder)
2) Place the new iteration at the bottom of the timeline
3) Assign the new iteration as the current iteration
4) Save
5) Archive the new iteration
6) Save
This will mark that iteration as completed.

Another possible solution:
1) Move the current iteration to another timeline
2) Move the iteration back to its original place.
3) Save
This will get rid of the current iteration entirely.

If you don't have another timeline, you could:
1) Create a timeline
2) Move the current iteration to that timeline
3) Move the iteration back
4) Delete the timeline
5) Save
 This will not create a new timeline and the current iteration will be removed entirely.
Andrew Codrington selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jared Burns commented Aug 15 '13, 6:59 p.m. | edited Aug 15 '13, 6:59 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Looks like I filed workitem 79007 back in 2009. Well, its time has come. I just took a few minutes and implemented a simple solution in the web ui. As soon as I get a Selenium test passing, the ability to unset the current iteration will be in 4.0.5. 

Andrew Codrington commented Aug 16 '13, 9:01 a.m.

Thank you both @jtsolomo and @jburns.

Option 1 above seemed least disruptive and was easy to do.
I've now got an archived 'Ignore Me' iteration that might make future admins scratch their heads, but query results for "WI in 'Current Iteration' " are correct now.

Good to hear about a cleaner solution coming with 79007 relatively soon as well.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.