It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC: Burndown Chart query

Naweed Jaulim (632732) | asked Aug 12 '13, 8:59 a.m.
 Hi,

Would anyone know what is the query(conditions) which sits behind the RTC Burndown chart?

I have a chart which is showing wrong information and want to compare the work items data for this.

Regards,
Naweed

One answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Aug 13 '13, 6:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Naweed,

When you're viewing a report, there is usually a section below the chart labeled About this Report that you can expand for more info.  When I did this for my Burndown chart, I saw the following info:

This report plots the remaining backlog of work in terms of the time estimated to complete it. Agile development methodologies such as Scrum use a burndown to plot the daily progress toward the end of a sprint.
Ideally, the chart will show a trend toward zero hours of remaining work as the sprint comes to a close.
Only work items which are open and in progress and which have an estimate specified are included in the calculation.
The blue line indicates the burndown, or remaining work in hours. The grey line indicates planned work, or the sum of the remaining work and the completed work. The "Ideal" line indicates what an ideal iteration would look like with a steady burndown from the beginning to the end of the iteration. The ideal line uses the last data point for planned work as its starting point. The "Expected Complete" line is a forward-looking plot from the current state of the burndown line to the end of the sprint, indicating the required rate of workj if the iteration is to complete successfully.

Comments
Naweed Jaulim commented Aug 13 '13, 9:54 a.m.

Hi Lauren,

I have come across this and wanted to double check. I am noticing some discrepancies between data I have in the work item and data in this report.

For instance in the chart query - I should be ideally see all my iterations( I have 1-6) under a timeline. For some reasons only 1- 4 are listed. Would you know why?

If I try to create a query and add the iteration as a query - it does pick up the full iteration.

I have also made sure that the iteration 5 has been assigned and has an estimate too.

Thanks,

Naweed

Dinesh Kumar B commented Aug 14 '13, 2:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Are your Data Collection Jobs running successfully?  I would suspect it fails now due to which the report does not understand about these iterations.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.