It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Defect metrics with custom attributes

Stefan Schmelz (471719) | asked Jul 09 '13, 12:56 p.m.

Hi,

I need to provide a defect metric of open defects per calendar week.

As series I need to specify a custom attribute, which is not available as fact, but as a string extension within the ODS.

I am therefore trying to go via the defect history elements and would like to map those to an x-axis populated with calendar weeks. My problem is, there is not necessarily a history record for each calendar week and I am struggling to create a table with exactly one entry for each open defect for a given week.

Has anybody come across this problem and would be able to give me helpful hint?

Thanks in advance

Stefan

2 answers

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Jul 10 '13, 4:51 a.m.
Assuming you are using RRDI, I think you may want to take the approach of making the custom attributes available rather than parsing the history elements unless I missed something.
You may want to take a look at custom attributes with RRDI  @ Freddy's blog

Comments
Stefan Schmelz commented Jul 10 '13, 5:55 a.m. | edited Jul 10 '13, 5:56 a.m.

Hi Indradi,

thank you for your input.

I know that. This is the reason for me going to the ODS.

But as the custom attribute might change over the lifetime of a workitem, I need to evaluate the [Business View].[Request History String Extension] and set this in relation to my time interval (e.g. a calendar week) to result in a table giving the time interval in one column and then for one given [Request ID] the one oldest [Business View].[Request History].[Request History ID] relative to this time interval.

And this is where I am struggling.

permanent link
Jackie Albert (1.6k14946) | answered Jul 10 '13, 10:35 a.m.

We have this same issue, and have ended up just calculating "metrics" out of the ODS data using the Request History and Request State History,  so we can tie in the custom attribute data.  However, like you said we sometimes end up with gaps in the report for weeks/days that there are no data and we don't have a great solution for that issue.

It's not an elegant solution, but it's the only one we have found so far.  I'd be happy to hear if others have a better solution to recommend.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.