How do I use workspaces together with Design Management Projects?
Hi All,
We're using CLM version 4.02 (with a hoped-for upgrade to 4.03 in the future) with RSA Ver. 8.04. My group does enterprise architecture work and is using UPIA because it can be exported to DODAF PES. We'd like to use Design Management to provide configuration managment and change control for our models, but I'm having some trouble setting it up to work right. I've tried setting up something similar to the scenario described in "Evolving Architectures and Designs in Parallel - A workflow development using Rational Software ARchitect and Design Management."
Here's what I did:
1) In /vvc, created a new, empty configuration space named "Testing - Base"
2) In /dm, created a new Project Area named "Testing - Base" (Sorry for the same name...), and pointed it to the "Testing - Base" Configuraiton area. I am the only team member, with all roles. The Project Area is associated with the Rational Software Architect UPIA, UML, SoaML, and documentaiton domains.
3) In RSA, created a new UPIA Modeling project named "Base Capabilities". Added a view. Added 9 UPIA Capabilities (classes...). Saved the model.
4) In RSA, uploaded the "Base Capabilities" model project to the "Testing - Base" DM Project Area.
5) Logged out of RSA.
6) In /dm, verified that the Capabilities were visible in the DM Explorer.
7) In /vvc, verified thath the Capabilities were visible as resources in the "Testing - Base" Project Area.
8) In /vvc, took a snapshot of the "Testing - Base" space and named it "Testing - Base v0.1"
9) In /vvc, created a workspace named "Testing - Project A" based on the "Testing - Base v0.1" snapshot.
10) In /vvc, created a workspace named "Testing - Project B" based on the "Testing - Base v0.1" snapshot.
11) In /dm, created a new Project Area named "Testing - Project Area A", same users, pointed to "Testing - Base" as the configuration space. (Should I have been able to see the snapshot as a space? I don't think so, but it didn't show up there in any case...)
---- At this point, I didn't create Project B. Instead, I wanted to make sure the Capabilities would show up in Project A....
12) in RSA, opened Design Explorer, right clicked on my connection and then clicked on "Connect to projects..." Both "Testing - Base" and "Testing - Project Area A" showed up as potential projects. I selected them both. In the next dialog, "Select Workspace or Snapshot", I could see both projects, but only "Testing - Base" would show anything but the base configuration. See the two attached pictures.
13) in /dm, once I realized that the project area wasn't working the way I expected in RSA, I went back to the /dm explorer. No resources were visibile from the base workspace. It showed that the current context was "Testing-Base." When I tried changing to a different configuraiton--one of the child workspaces, I got the message below that "Configuration Testing - Project A" is not appropriate in the context of the currently active project "Testing - Project Area A".
And that's where my step-by-step stops. From everything I've read, I should be able to see the same workspaces in "Testing-Project Area A" that I'm seeing in "Testing-Base". Is that incorrect? Eventually, I will have multiple projects with some common elements, and which share interfaces. I expected that by putting everthing into a common configuration space, we would be able to manage sharing between the projects. Are there any ideas on how to set this up? Should I be using a different CM solution? Do we need to be using RAM or something similar to manage published interfaces?
Because of various concerns, I can't put everything into a single project, and without 4.03, I can't restrict access by workspace (I believe that is a 4.03 feature...).
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ricky
Accepted answer
11) A snapshot isn't a space. A snapshot is a configuration. You can think of workspaces and snapshots as types of configurations -- the first is editable and the second isn't. Configurations are contained in configuration spaces. To see a list of configuration spaces, please go to /vvc and look at the right column in the table.
13) Ideally, it would work, but for now, please try making a new workspace from "Testing - Project Area A" and then that workspace could be used in "Testing - Base." I think this is what you are trying to accomplish: using the workspace from both projects. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Also, restricting acesss to workspace configurations in 4.0.3 is for write access.
Comments
1 vote