It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Auto adding field contents to comments? Is this possible during "save"?

Karthik Krishnan (8898121163) | asked May 13 '13, 11:12 a.m.
Is it possible to add the contents of a field to a custom comment field automatically while saving the work item?

2 answers

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered May 13 '13, 1:18 p.m.
edited May 13 '13, 2:12 p.m.
There are two possibilities that comes in my mind. One is to create an operation participant and the other is to create a script-based calculated value, if you want the value of the source field to be copied over to the destination field even before the save operation.
For Operation participant, take a look at the Extension Workshop
For script based calculated values, see Attribute Customization
Also, refer to this post where Dinesh answered a similar question like yours.

Comments
Karthik Krishnan commented May 14 '13, 7:07 a.m.

Thanks. Will check this out 

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered May 13 '13, 5:19 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have to ask why this is needed?  If you look at the history tab, you can see a log of all of the attribute changes to a particular work item over time.  Not sure why you would want an automated addition of field changes to a custom comment field.  RTC has a built in history that we had to architect around with CQ, with the custom comment field to support audit.

Comments
Karthik Krishnan commented May 14 '13, 2:39 a.m.

The reason for not using "history" is that it records all and I only want an audit log for one field only so it's "easy to read" for the  users

In CQ, I can do this on the "commit" hook or "value changed hook" depends on need

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.