It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Child project areas ? (CLM 3.0.1.4)

Natalia Liaskovski (5711219) | asked May 10 '13, 10:06 a.m.
How does one create 'child project areas' as mentioned in the screenshot below ?

Child project area

Comments
sam detweiler commented May 10 '13, 4:28 p.m.

and this is not a child of this PROJECT, but a child of the project TEMPLATE.

On the overview tab of any project, you have a choice of sharing the definition (acting as a parent) or not, or consuming some projects definition. (acting as a child)

2 answers

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered May 10 '13, 10:28 a.m.
Hi Natalia, This article explains and described the steps.

Comments
Natalia Liaskovski commented May 10 '13, 3:06 p.m.

I am sorry, I am not clear - are you implying that unconfigured project areas using shared process are 'child' areas ? I am familiar with theĀ  process sharing , my question is about terminology. Thanks

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered May 10 '13, 3:32 p.m.
Hi Natalia, I am not too sure but if you are asking about the "Final" checkbox which I just noticed you highlighted in your original post.

Anyway, you will find the Final checkbox in multiple places while process configuration. This restricts any changes/customization on that particular operation to be changed in Child PAs if marked Final on the Parent PA.

Comments
Natalia Liaskovski commented May 10 '13, 5:38 p.m.

Hi, Indradri. My question is - what is 'child' project area vs 'parent' project area.

Sam, I am not sure templates can have children.

I think what the two of you are trying to say - project sharing process definition is considered a master/parent, and projects using that definition are 'children'.

Thank you

sam detweiler commented May 10 '13, 5:42 p.m.

correct, projects USING another projects process configuration are called 'children'.. no DATA is shared, just the process configuration (and not all of it, team areas, iterations, categories are not shared)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.