It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can't view burndown charts after renaming team/project areas

Paul Sims (31513421) | asked Dec 08 '08, 6:33 p.m.
I made changes to our server configuration Friday and today. A user pointed out this afternoon that they can no longer view burndown charts.

I created two new development "Lines" and their associated release and sprint plans. (Before we had one line, one release, and multiple sprints.)

Line 1
Release 1
Sprint 1
Sprint 2
Line 2
Release 2
Sprint 1
Sprint 2
Line 3
Release 3
Sprint 1
Sprint 2

I renamed our project and team areas to "WebSphere Commerce" from what they were, for example "Old Team Area Name" to "WebSphere Commerce" and "Old Project Area Name" to "WebSphere Commerce."

I can view a current burndown chart on the top-level, default team dashboard (Team Area: All, Iteration: Current Iteration) but I cannot view a burndown chart on any of the "Trends" or "Charts" tabs of the project areas. The message is "No work items with estimates specified were found."

I tried running the data warehouse task to see if it would refresh the data but that did change the results.

I noticed when trying to reconfigure the viewlets that the server seems to think the old team area name still exists, that is, I don't see the new name in the team hierarchy. I would expect to see /WebSphere Commerce/Team but instead I see /Old Team Area Name/Team.

Do I need to restart the server for project and team area renaming to take effect?

Paul Sims
IBM WebSphere Commerce

3 answers

permanent link
Paul Sims (31513421) | answered Dec 09 '08, 8:30 a.m.
This problem seems to have resolved itself overnight. I can now view burndown charts as expected.

Paul Sims
IBM WebSphere Commerce

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Dec 09 '08, 10:08 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
sims wrote:
This problem seems to have resolved itself overnight. I can now view
burndown charts as expected.

Paul Sims
IBM WebSphere Commerce

This is expected behaviour currently. You renamed some of your
artifacts, but the data warehouse (which is updated overnight) didn't
know about the new names yet. You then tried to view a report with new
names as parameters, and got an empty chart.

In the future we may improve this workflow by using item IDs instead of
names as parameters to our reports. Then a rename of an artifact
wouldn't affect the report in such a way. (Although the report itself
might still display the old name somewhere until the data warehouse
update caught up with the changes).

james
Jazz Reports Team Lead

permanent link
Paul Sims (31513421) | answered Dec 11 '08, 12:52 p.m.
Thanks for the explanation James. It makes sense.

What confuses me is that (I think) I manually ran the data warehouse task after making the change but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Regardless, all is well now.

Paul Sims
IBM WebSphere Commerce

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.