It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I Syncronise Streams without using a Repository Workspace?

Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | asked May 02 '13, 5:31 a.m.
Hello,

I am experimenting with RTC 3.0.1.1 source control and I have a question about syncronising streams.  I will try to explain it with a scenario.

OK, so let's assume that I have an integration stream INTG with two team steams TEAM1 and TEAM2 that deliver to it.  At a given point in time work from TEAM1 and TEAM2, who are working on the same component but without dependencies, needs to be delivered.  In order to deliver from TEAM1 I change the workspace repository flow target from TEAM1 to INTG so that I get the change sets to deliver in the outgoing folder.  Once delivered I have to accept them from the INTG workspace repository's incoming folder.

The same process is carried out from the TEAM2 repository workspace but this time I have to accept the change sets delivered to INTG from TEAM1 before being able to deliver my outgoing change sets.  Once complete I have only brought the changes to my TEAM2 workspace repository and not the stream so when I change the flow target back to the TEAM2 stream I have to deliver the change sets that I received into my TEAM2 repository workspace from the INTG stream that were delivered from the TEAM1 repository workspace.  I have to do this for the TEAM1 stream as well.

As you can see this scenario involves lots of repository workspaces and deliver and accept operations.  Is there a way to automatically sync the changes to the various streams without the use of repository workspaces, or a way to speed up the process?

Regards,

Andrew

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 02 '13, 1:17 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, you can declare that one stream is the flow target of another stream, which allows you to show the stream in the Pending Changes view, and directly deliver/accept to between the streams without using a repository workspace.   You can also use the command line to deliver directly from one stream to another.  But if the changes require a merge because of a conflict, the merge must be done in a repository workspace.
Andrew Trobec selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented May 03 '13, 2:17 a.m.

Hello Geoffrey,

Thank you for the reply.  I have performed some experiments and I've found what you mean!  This is much better.
Regards,
Andrew

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.